Re: Will keeping bees this spring kill me (before I finish my allergy shots?)
I do not like getting stung by bees.
I keep about 10 hives in a feild adjoining my house, "carniolian mostly" mutts, probably incredibly gentle compared to generic "honey bees".
I have a couple of hives in a field about 15 miles away, where the bad bees go. My original "allegedly Italian" bees ended up here. one of them after supeceduring for several years calmed down enough to swap out with one of the home hives that was a little too defensive, while one of the bad bee hives after the same three years has turned "seriously hot".
Back on topic ... I usually wear loose work pants over jeans, plus a fencing style hooded "breeze" jacket to work bees. I also wear 9mil nitrile gloves over fabric gloves. After being stung through my thick wool socks & tennis shoes in the early days, I always wear ankle high work boots, ( my standard foot wear)
I guess I get stung 4 or 5 times a year. once when I pinched a bee between my fingers. other than that , I have never been stung through the double glove set up.
I have had issues with bees crawling up my sleeves from worn elastic in the cuffs, and up from below where the bottom hem elastic is loose, but have taken to wearing a couple of rubber bands hooked around the lower portion to cure that. ( my wife repaired the sleeves for me).
I also own a "jumpsuite" style outfit with the zip on round veil, made of white cloth.
it was pretty hot to wear in the summer in Alabama, so I would wear it over a T-shirt.
When attempting to perform a trap out in my first or second year I got stung multple times through the suit, mostly around the wrists.
I have had a bee in the bonnet enough times with both of these outfits til it doesn't panic me the way it first did . A sting to the head, neck, face is to be avoided, for me.
Another comment about the jumpsuit, the leg-foot openings are not large enough for my work boots, so I have to take off my shoes to put it on or off.
some thing to check if you are considering that route.
I was "slightly sensitized" to bee venom when I first started, Allergy clinic proposed desensitizeing process to take a couple of years ( cost about $5k per year! ) & then re-test to see if it worked. one delay after another, & I never took the program. Currently, stings other than my face/head, 15 min later, I cannot remember where I was stung. on the other hand, if I get ants on me, I start itching with out being stung.
From the sound of things, I would seriously question your judgment in continuing to work with bees, but then, you might as well. Non beekeepers die from bee/wasp/ant stings occaisionally. At least you get to make an informed decision. Good Luck!!! CE
Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.