Mouse cleanup question

Hybrid View

Default Mouse cleanup question

After some bitter -30 to -40 windchill days, its a nice 50 degrees outside. I decided to enjoy the warmth and check on my 2 hives. One was busy cleaning house/orienting and looks to have a strong population. The other was deadly quiet. Got closer and noticed a mouse run out of it. After figuring out what I did wrong in the fall, and that I was positive the bees were gone, I opened up the hive and discovered a mouse nest, chewed up comb, etc.

I've cleaned out all of the nest and thrown out the chewed up comb. Cleaned up as much of the mess in the bottom (solid bottom board) as I could for now. And stuck a cork in the opening to close it up. I'm hoping they won't gnaw through that to get back in.

Now the question... come spring time, how do I properly clean this hive so that its safe to eat honey from again? Will just some soapy water do the trick? Do I need to use a little bleach, and let it sit to air out? Or am I over thinking this? My hope is to split the current hive into it come spring.
    Running 2 TBHs. Started my beekeeping adventure May 2014.

Default Re: Mouse cleanup question

Soapy water and/or some kitchen cleaner with bleach will do fine. Did you have any combs that could salvaged? I would not get soapy water or bleach on any comb. I would either freeze it, or just let the bees clean it when you make your split. The bees are amazing house cleaners, and will disinfect the comb on their own. I would also consider some wire mesh of some type instead of cork. The mice will gnaw through to get back in the hive.

Default Re: Mouse cleanup question

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the reply. I'll clean it as suggested. I went back out and covered the openings with wire. I trashed most of the combs, there are a few that I saved but not too many.
    Running 2 TBHs. Started my beekeeping adventure May 2014.