Request to rename two sub-forums.

Default Request to rename two sub-forums.

Hello Moderators:

Would you consider renaming two sub-forums as follows:

1)Forum: Top Bar Hive Forum (Minimalist beekeeping au natural).
    Proposed new name: Horizontal Hive Forum (THB, Layen, Ukrainian, any other horizontal hives).

2)Forum: Warre Hive Forum (Warre hive beekeeping).
    Proposed new name: Compact Vertical Hive Forum (Warre, Delon, Russian alpine, any other vertical compact hives).

Why the proposal:

* At their current forms, these sub-forums appear too restrictive to very specific hive types (TBH and Warre-classic only).
    The ideas behind the both horizontal hives and compact vertical hives have been historically much wider and have many implementations (not just the two hive types).
    Currently interest in other similar heritage hive formats are coming back (see Layens hives or Delon hives).
    It would be proper and timely now to minimally modify (rename) the TBH and Warre sub-forums to reflect the current status and also make them "bigger tents".

* Several hive enthusiasts (myself, little_john, several others) have difficulty posting and finding subjects related to the horizontal hives or compact vertical hives.
    This is because there are no dedicated places for these at this time.
    For example, a newcomer would have hard time finding horizontal hive discussions by simply browsing the BS (several topis are deeply buried in the general Bee Forum now and are hard to find even by targeted search).

* The said forums should be easy to rename; this does not undo any existing context for the TBH/Warre stakeholders, but rather should create more interest and activity in the said forums (rather low traffic as of late).

* Better names can be proposed and taken also to reflect the change (if it is accepted).
    I am simply trying to demonstrate the idea by proposed names and do not insist on the exact names above.

* I am not asking to move any postings at all (myself and others interested could just re-post few pointers of interest; some kind of a sticker up the top would be useful for that purpose though).

Thanks for your consideration!
    GregV
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Request to rename two sub-forums.

I have no objection to changing those names. [The presumption is that the words (in parenthesis) in the post above would be a sub-head in a smaller font.]

And just as a small test to see if it could be done without invoking VerticalScope, I inserted the words "& Horizontal" into the previously named "Top Bar Hive Forum". It was easy, and seems to have worked without any problems that I can see.

So lets wait a bit and see what further opinions we get before making a final decision.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I have no objection to changing those names. [The presumption is that the words (in parenthesis) in the post above would be a sub-head in a smaller font.]

And just as a small test to see if it could be done without invoking VerticalScope, I inserted the words "& Horizontal" into the previously named "Top Bar Hive Forum". It was easy, and seems to have worked without any problems that I can see.

So lets wait a bit and see what further opinions we get before making a final decision.
    Many Thanks!

Certainly, opinions are welcome.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I implemented the changes outlined above, although with slight modifications retaining the "Top Bar" and "Warre" words as part of the new forum title.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I wish the horizontal hive (long lang) would be given its own subform. I run all topbar hives and only one medium long Lang. I find that their management is very different since with the TBH the bars form the ceiling whereas the long lang has standard frames and has spaces, and thus can be supered or needs an inner cover in segments. The bees reaction to being worked is also very different.

I wish the horizontal hive (long lang) would be given its own subform. I run all topbar hives and only one medium long Lang. I find that their management is very different since with the TBH the bars form the ceiling whereas the long lang has standard frames and has spaces, and thus can be supered or needs an inner cover in segments. The bees reaction to being worked is also very different.
    On the opposite direction, I think TBH hives keepers (the North especially) could reconsider some of their practices.
    I too use the locked top bars (per the horizontalhive.com design) and every winter I am very unhappy with them (when doing dry sugar application especially).
    Going forward, I will modify the locked top bars to "pass-through" top bars + cover cloth.
    This will also facilitate usage of optional micro-supers (a hassle at the moment).

As a matter of fact, I would do exact same modification if I was running the TBHs - the pass-thru, spaced top bars + a cover cloth (natural or optionally plastic film). A slight modification to the top bar - all it is.

So, this is just one example where various horizontal hive flavors should take the best approaches of each other and improve.
    There is nothing wrong with the classic TBH to be modified into using "pass-through" top bars with spaces and a cover cloth on the bars.
    Benefits are many.
    The management is the same as before.
    Horizontal Lang management needs not be different from TBH - just natural-comb frames and cover cloth directly on the frames - there you have a TBH (plus the Lang benefits).

This united horizontal hive forum is actually the better way I feel - exchange of the ideas and a way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I implemented the changes outlined above, although with slight modifications retaining the "Top Bar" and "Warre" words as part of the new forum title.
    Many Thanks!