Feb 1st? All is well?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Feb 1st? All is well?

Hopefully I am not jinxing myself here. It is 45 degrees after our last polar vortex and I still have ten hives alive from ten. I realize how early it is and that things can change but am still excited today. How are you all fairing so far this year?

The year before last there was a tread where everyone listed how they were doing toward end of winter (I know this is early for that). I did not see that thread last year but really enjoyed it the year before.

How are your hives doing? I hope well but even if not, I would like to hear anything you want to say about it.

My bees looked like they were enjoying a nice poop and maybe a bit of water gathering.

PS Somebody get the weed eater.

Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Feb 1st? All is well?

I have 21 out of 22 surviving. I started adding pollen patties last week to get them to start building. Hopefully, we will not get any more vortexes to chill the brood.

Eric
    Do you guys get natural pollen this early?
    Congratulation on the good wintering so far.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

GWW- I noticed that you do not wrap your hives. That's great that they made it thru last week. -25 here without wind chill. I will be checking on Sunday. Hope all is well. I did notice that they were eating a lot more this winter which had been warmer than usual.

Cyber
    Third year with just top insulation and no top ventilation except the few with sugar blocks. They may still starve before spring build up, time will tell. I think you are a bit colder then us. I think around zero is cold. On my hives, it is amazing that they do as well as they do. Look at the gap between boxes in the third hive in the picture. The bees don't even use the bottom entrance. Poor carpentry skills.

I hope all goes well sunday when you check and let us know about it if you feel like it.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

As of last weekend, all is well and have not lost a single colony. If I can keep them all alive to April, it will be a first for me. Now my worries are where am I going to get all the drawn comb needed to hold back the swarming? I guess I will have to go back to opening the sides of the broodnest.

I am not seeing any bees coming in with pollen. It will probably be another week or two before the maples are producing.

Still 23 for 23.

Ill let you know tomorrow. Loads of pollen coming in. Mild winter. Id say splitting is in my near future.

11 of 12 for me (lost the one to starvation).

As of yesterday we have 70 out of 71 still alive. Once March rolls around I should have a better idea...

I've got eight out of eight still alive. Yesterday as very unusually warm--about 50--so checked them and put new sugar blocks on some. All looked good. A few bees have early pollen, but it's still way too early here for a serious build up, at least under normal conditions. It's about now we find out of we get an early spring or if winter and spring get wet, cold and snowy for the next couple of months.
    Year 3
    Zone 7b 3500 ft.

sometimes I have to chuckle at what some consider winter...lol...more like a brief cold spell....

all in fun
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqB0zcmhmQ

I know 2 of my 3 are still alive. I think the third one is but it is smaller and has not been as active.

I think one of my hives thinks it is spring already and has started building up and running out of stores. I have started feeding them sugar until we start getting any blooms in 2 months.

This was this afternoon
    1 feb 2019 bee hive.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    sometimes I have to chuckle at what some consider winter...lol...more like a brief cold spell....

all in fun
    LOL!

-30F here the last two nights. 4 days well below 0F. Finally broke 0F today. I took the stethoscope out to the two hives I have here at home.

The first one I heard buzzing. This hive is one of my biggest concerns because they just didn't put away any stores last fall. But they are still in there!

The second hive was my strongest hive of 14 going into winter. I didn't hear a sound with the stethoscope! Figured they were dead so I popped the top and pulled the quilt box to expose the candy board. There were three bees on the top of the sugar with their stingers in the air looking up at me! There were also several dead bees in the voids around the candy board. I pulled up the candy frame and there was a beautiful big cluster of bees quietly relaxing at the top of the hive, snacking on sugar. They've had quite a feast on the candy board so far this winter. Will have to keep and eye on that.

Tomorrow it'll be 35F, so I'll go around to the other yards and check the rest of them, and will give them a pollen patty to get them thinking about spring! Thinking about maybe doing an OAV on them, also, but the insulation may get in the way for that.

Man I hope we're done with the brutal cold for this winter.

good deal Glenn hopefully they keep on going strong!
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Only lost a couple so far, still have half my apiary to check but things are looking good. What makes me worry is when we get mild weather followed by a nasty cold snap. Lost a lot of bees last year because of that.

Thanks kamon
    zone 5b

Currently i have 6 out of 6 still alive one i am gonna have to feed they are light.

Checked my nucs for food the other day. Lost 3 clusters to starvation but managed to get food on the others that needed it. Mostly late starts. So far sitting at 70 of 80 at those 2 sites. Lots of very nice clusters even for the late starts. In fact the worst clusters seem to be from honey bound nucs, not those that are light. Coincidence?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast