Question, Will AHB from Puerto Rico survive in cold areas of the United States?

Default Question, Will AHB from Puerto Rico survive in cold areas of the United States?

I am working for a non profit in Puerto Rico that is funding bee research, education for children, and the building of new hives. We are curious if the domesticated AHB would survive outside of Puerto Rico. And if so in what states?

Feedback, opinions, ideas are all welcome!

Thank you,

Devon
    Looking for experts to help advise our non-profit on rebuilding the bee population in PR Karma Honey Project

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question, Will AHB from Puerto Rico survive in cold areas of the United States?

Before you invest a lot of resources in the idea of exporting bees from Puerto Rico to the mainland US, it seems to me that it would be prudent to confirm that such shipments of bees would be legally permissible. I suspect that you will find it is not permissable.

For a start, see: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...m_Soil_Permits

While that summary page does not specifically mention Puerto Rico, it implies [to me, at least] that bees from Puerto Rico will be considered 'foreign' bees as they are not 'continental USA' bees. Discussing your plans with APHIS would be a good start on getting more info.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Question, Will AHB from Puerto Rico survive in cold areas of the United States?

Quote Originally Posted by karmahoneyproject View Post
    I am working for a non profit in Puerto Rico that is funding bee research, education for children, and the building of new hives. We are curious if the domesticated AHB would survive outside of Puerto Rico. And if so in what states?

Feedback, opinions, ideas are all welcome!

Thank you,

Devon
    PR AHB would do just fine in Arizona, heck the regular AHB does! In fact it does too good...

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Before you invest a lot of resources in the idea of exporting bees from Puerto Rico to the mainland US, it seems to me that it would be prudent to confirm that such shipments of bees would be legally permissible. I suspect that you will find it is not permissable.

For a start, see: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...m_Soil_Permits

While that summary page does not specifically mention Puerto Rico, it implies [to me, at least] that bees from Puerto Rico will be considered 'foreign' bees as they are not 'continental USA' bees. Discussing your plans with APHIS would be a good start on getting more info.
    Hello Rader!

Yes we have spoken to the USDA and there is no problem with this. This was the response,

"Presently, Puerto Rican honey bees can freely move to the mainland without USDA restriction. Shipment to Hawaii would be prohibited. Shipment of Puerto Rican honey bees to other countries would require compliance with import regulations in the foreign country. This usually involves a zoosanitary certificate from USDA APHIS, the contents of which is negotiated with the Agriculture ministry in the foreign country.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Wayne Wehling Ph D

Senior Entomologist
    Plant Protection and Quarantine
    Pests, Pathogen, and Biological Control Permits
    Looking for experts to help advise our non-profit on rebuilding the bee population in PR Karma Honey Project

Quote Originally Posted by karmahoneyproject View Post
    Hello Rader!

Yes we have spoken to the USDA and there is no problem with this. This was the response,

"Presently, Puerto Rican honey bees can freely move to the mainland without USDA restriction. Shipment to Hawaii would be prohibited. Shipment of Puerto Rican honey bees to other countries would require compliance with import regulations in the foreign country. This usually involves a zoosanitary certificate from USDA APHIS, the contents of which is negotiated with the Agriculture ministry in the foreign country.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Wayne Wehling Ph D

Senior Entomologist
    Plant Protection and Quarantine
    Pests, Pathogen, and Biological Control Permits
    Im in upstate NY and my wife's family are in PR .We got there at least once a year.
    If its legal to do so i can try and purchase PR AHB queens to try in NY.