Sub-forum 'duplication'

Default Sub-forum 'duplication'

If you enter the sub-forum "How to Start Beekeeping", there is a daughter forum there: "Hive Design, What Type?" - which suggests that the focus there is to be upon Hive Design considerations for the Beginner.

However, if you enter the General Beekeeping Forum itself, there are both "How to Start Beekeeping" AND the same "Hive Design, What Type?" sub-forums present there - thus suggesting that the focus of the Hive Design sub-forum is other than that for beginners.

Although I've noticed this before, it only became an issue this morning when I considered submitting a post related to Gallup Framed hives which have been shown to be capable of producing vastly increased amounts of brood together with enormous honey crops - which are hardly topics suitable for a beginner, and yet appear to be very much related to Hive Design issues.

Advice as to where to submit such a post would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks, LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sub-forum 'duplication'

Hello there,

I think there's some confusion on this.
    They are in the same section.
    If you look at the top, it'll show you a legend saying

It is not a duplicate.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    If you enter the sub-forum "How to Start Beekeeping", there is a daughter forum there: "Hive Design, What Type?" - which suggests that the focus there is to be upon Hive Design considerations for the Beginner.

However, if you enter the General Beekeeping Forum itself, there are both "How to Start Beekeeping" AND the same "Hive Design, What Type?" sub-forums present there - thus suggesting that the focus of the Hive Design sub-forum is other than that for beginners.
    Use the "General Beekeeping Forum sub-forums", for new threads/posts please. All responses to the "How to Start Beekeeping" daughter forums like: "Hive Design, What Type?" are moderated, and will not be visible to members until approved by a moderator.

My understanding is that Barry set up the dual structure such that the non-General subforums would contain only responses that Barry approved of, any others would either be moved elsewhere or never made public. This type of system is fine if there is someone that actively wishes to put the time in to evaluate & approve each individual post, and have the resulting thread be more or less a permanent [high quality] reference. But Barry is not around to maintain his vision, and I don't see anyone else empowered with a similar vision for the future of Beesource.

VerticalScope is not interested in much besides required forum maintenance (keeping eyeball clicks coming); and moderators have other things to do.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

"Duplication" wasn't really the right word to use - but I couldn't think of a better one, off the cuff.

On further examination, it's really more of a sub-forum hierarchical structure display snafu I'm seeing - (is anyone else ?).

So, to illustrate - here's a screen-grab of the 'How to Start Beekeeping Forum' - note not only the 'Hive Design' sub-forum which I've highlighted - but also the 'Getting Bees', 'Hive Placement', and all the rest.

Now here's a screen-grab of the General Beekeeping Forum, showing the "How to Start Beekeeping Forum - but with all of it's sub-forums (including the 'Hive Design') - still displayed. This then gives the impression of 'duplication' - but I can now see that it's really more a case of the 'How to Start' sub-forums being displayed on a page in which they really shouldn't be - I assume - 'cause I've no way of knowing whether other people are also seeing this. Same story at this end with both Firefox and Opera browers.

Ok, be that as it may - there doesn't seem to be an appropriate sub-forum to discuss the relative merits and characteristics of specific Hive Designs - including experimental and alternative types (other than Warre and Top Bar), for the more seasoned beekeeper. Would such an area of discussion warrant it's own sub-forum ?
    'best
    LJ

Barry - just seen your reply - seems the 'dual structure' you speak of may indeed be the explanation.
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/