2018: Swarmpocalypse

Default 2018: Swarmpocalypse

Last year, I had little time to spend with bees. I did some early splits and that was pretty much the extent of my beekeeping. As the title suggests, I had extensive swarming, afterswarming, heck, I even had post-swarming swarming. The results from all this swarming? Slimed hives from SHB and absconding bees from what was left, many of which took up residence in empty hives and a couple that so far have managed to somehow overwinter.

Lessons learned last year:
    Sell bees if there isn't time to manage. I lost thousands of potential dollars in bees.

After having used langs for the past couple of years, I actually prefer managing bees in my TBHs.

My bees are swarmy. I mean super swarmy.

Looking forward this year:

Raise bees not SHB.

Make more packages to sell. I refuse to lose that many bees ever again and not get something in return.

Go back to my TBHs. Having various equipment isn't helping from a convenience factor. I like horizontal management and it's super cost feasible to expand.

Thought I'd drop by, say "hi" and let everyone know where I was at in regard to my beekeeping. Going to try and dust myself off and give it a real go this year.
    Season 5. TF.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2018: Swarmpocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Nordak View Post
    Thought I'd drop by, say "hi" and let everyone know where I was at in regard to my beekeeping. Going to try and dust myself off and give it a real go this year.
    Hey!
    Long time no see.

Too bad I was not close by - I'd come in a heartbeat and scoop up some of those smarmy bees of yours.
    Good stuff, all I can tell.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Hey Greg!

Good to see you.
    Season 5. TF.

Try Langstroth long hives, using the frames but set up like a tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by dr4ngas View Post
    Try Langstroth long hives, using the frames but set up like a tbh.
    Bit of thread digging, but I never properly replied to your suggestion. Apologies for being late. I actually have a long lang, and to me, it has all the disadvantages of both the TBH and lang. From a lang perspective, it leads to more intrusive inspections due to gaps in the frames. It also requires frame assembly, which in and of itself is costly and time consuming. From a TBH perspective, it requires the same amount of dedicated swarm control practice, making it necessary to regularly visit the hives during swarm season. I like the idea behind the long lang, but in practice, it wasn't for me.
    Season 5. TF.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordak View Post
    Bit of thread digging, but I never properly replied to your suggestion. Apologies for being late. I actually have a long lang, and to me, it has all the disadvantages of both the TBH and lang. From a lang perspective, it leads to more intrusive inspections due to gaps in the frames. It also requires frame assembly, which in and of itself is costly and time consuming. From a TBH perspective, it requires the same amount of dedicated swarm control practice, making it necessary to regularly visit the hives during swarm season. I like the idea behind the long lang, but in practice, it wasn't for me.
    Hi Nordak. Glad to see you are still keeping bees. Hope things get better for you.

Hey J. Lee, great seeing you and thanks. Doing pretty good. Caught an early swarm in a bait hive, had another show up in my backyard that I believe were en route to an abandoned hive from last year. I had 3 surviving hives from last year's catastrophe, split two of them, so I'm back up to 7. By all appearances, bees are pretty easy to come by here.
    Hope you are well. Let me know what you're up to on your beekeeping.
    Season 5. TF.

Sent you a PM.