How is that Global Warming thing working out for you? - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?

Over here most people are concerned about the heat wave so our weather guy put a graphic up on local TV last night showing global wind patterns etc. The equatorial temperatures are higher than normal causing more hot air to rise into the upper atmosphere. This in turn has dragged cold air from the Polar Vortex down further than normal and caused the big freeze experienced right now. Interestingly, right now it is colder in some parts of the USA than it is at the North Pole.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Big blobs of cold air has been coming down from the poles as long as I can remember. Sometime they think they are the first ones to have noticed that it's happened. Whats new to them is old news to me. The cold air is moving on to some other part of the world this weekend my old bones will be happy then.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Exactly.
    Do we need to explain these comparatively simple and working techniques?

My local university in town has been drilling ice in Antarctica for long time now.
    They know a thing or two about ice drilling and ice cores.
    https://icecube.wisc.edu/about/overview

Okay, I rest my case.

(removed ..... getting too much political maybe)
    Don't know what a neutrino detector has to do with anything. I will have to agree with the moderator and not put up any more political or religious discussions. And I thought global warming was a science. I guess it never was.
    Last edited by Dan the bee guy; 01-31-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: clarity

If this was so much about science please explain how there was such a melt down when the University of East Anglia, I think, were caught fudging all their global warming figures so that the results would meet the theory. Since the days of character dont matter there is not much you can trust from the academic community. It would appear that funding trumps all.

highcountrylisa,
    Welcome
    Missed that you were at post #1. Jumped right in to Coffee Klatch didn't you.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    If this was so much about science please explain how there was such a melt down when the University of East Anglia, I think, were caught fudging all their global warming figures so that the results would meet the theory. Since the days of character dont matter there is not much you can trust from the academic community. It would appear that funding trumps all.
    *Higher educations is proving to be an expensive isolation from reality*.....paraphrased from a quote by Thomas Sowell

GregV said:
    Original Post
    This is not about daily weather swings.
    This is about consistent trends like this one: Melting glaciers in Arctic reveal land hidden for 40,000 years
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ays/ar-BBSTGVO

This doesn’t mean much, the land most of us live on in North America was covered by ice for a long time before it’s glaciers melted. At least its getting warmer and not colder, can’t grow or feed much on a glacier. Remember the only constant in life is change.

The other saying from the political front is " the more things change the more the remain the same "

Vance et al,

I realize that I have little chance to get you to reconsider your interpretations and outlook in this matter, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts. There are conversations to be had where different statistics and studies are compared--and I believe it is always good to maintain a healthy skepticism in this arena--but underneath the empirical data, this conversation is about psychology, ego, and a definition of human purpose and responsibility. I tend to agree with someone like Wendell Berry, who has been farming his family's land for most of his life. I offer his piece "Damage" to you and everyone on this thread to consider as a broader way of framing this discussion: http://trevorspangle-blog.tumblr.com/post/54432257

This passage is an important one:
    Until that wound in the hillside, my place, is healed, there will
    be something impaired in my mind. My peace is damaged. I
    will not be able to forget it.

At the risk of a hasty generalization, I'd say that most folks on this forum either resonate with this sentiment or they think it sentimental hooey. The latter ones are those that sadden me--those without a deep sense of responsibility, care, and husbandry for our place (both local and at large). I know many utilitarian bee keepers in the mountains of WNC where I live, so i'm not surprised by this. Just saddened. One would think that a person engaged with such a fascinating and complex creature such as the honey bee would approach the topic of the climate (a vastly complicated subject) with just a bit more humility; however, if the allusory title of this thread (an almost spot-on aping of what our president recently tweeted) is any indication, I'd guess that the writer, just like our president, isn't strong in that category.

Dude, come on, your very first post is to bring pres politic bashing?

I voted for Montgomery Brewster -- so tired of explaining that Richard Prior reference -- but I am one of those deplorables. Enough with the politics.

You don't know about my solar powered aquaponic greenhouse. You don't know how the seeds my veggies drop get planted next year. You don't know that I have not eaten any meat i did not grow or shoot for 20 years. You don't know jack about jack.

Stop telling me how to live my life.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Quote Originally Posted by lemmje View Post
    Stop telling me how to live my life.
    Would be nice if how others live their life did not impact how I (well more my children) live mine. Just ain't so.

Well Vance you got two first time posters! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by moledinger View Post
    Vance et al,

I realize that I have little chance to get you to reconsider your interpretations and outlook in this matter, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts. There are conversations to be had where different statistics and studies are compared--and I believe it is always good to maintain a healthy skepticism in this arena--but underneath the empirical data, this conversation is about psychology, ego, and a definition of human purpose and responsibility. I tend to agree with someone like Wendell Berry, who has been farming his family's land for most of his life. I offer his piece "Damage" to you and everyone on this thread to consider as a broader way of framing this discussion: http://trevorspangle-blog.tumblr.com/post/54432257

This passage is an important one:
    Until that wound in the hillside, my place, is healed, there will
    be something impaired in my mind. My peace is damaged. I
    will not be able to forget it.

At the risk of a hasty generalization, I'd say that most folks on this forum either resonate with this sentiment or they think it sentimental hooey. The latter ones are those that sadden me--those without a deep sense of responsibility, care, and husbandry for our place (both local and at large). I know many utilitarian bee keepers in the mountains of WNC where I live, so i'm not surprised by this. Just saddened. One would think that a person engaged with such a fascinating and complex creature such as the honey bee would approach the topic of the climate (a vastly complicated subject) with just a bit more humility; however, if the allusory title of this thread (an almost spot-on aping of what our president recently tweeted) is any indication, I'd guess that the writer, just like our president, isn't strong in that category.
    I find fault with nothing you say or your example said. What sickens me is corrupt reporting, After East Anglia that is beyond dispute!, and the mindset that rationalizes subsidizing thousands of windmills killing millions of birds and bats so Gramma has to turn down her heat because the cost of the highly subsidized power is killing her financially. Who is being served here? The child laborers grubbing for rare earth in filthy disease ridden quarries or ALGORE flying his personal jet from location after location where it always seems to be unseasonably cold!

I have put no scars in the land sir. I just refuse to paw thru my trash and put it in seven receptacles to satisfy the professional guardians of such when it ends up in the same landfill now that China doesn't haul offal to China to burn where our fine pollution control is not in place.

I refuse to act like there is a problem so people can feel good about wasting resources putting people out of work.
    The writer is dripping with the same scorn for the mindless do gooders as his detractor seems to have.

It was 53 when I started walking my dog this afternoon. 20F two hours later and It will be -6F by morning. Latest estimates say that the next ice age will come on almost that fast.

I do not believe recycling is going to save the world. Most of the time it does save my on taxes, but not always. I'm just too cheap to be comfortable to cut down a perfectly good tree to make a new cardboard box when the old box will do. In my small town we throw away the equivalent of 1 and a half teachers every year disposing of trash. Not smart policy.

Religious fervor for or against does not help. How you count total cost of any lifestyle or public policy should be the question. That and what the facts are. It should be a math problem not a religion problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Would be nice if how others live their life did not impact how I (well more my children) live mine. Just ain't so.
    So you want people with guns to show up at others' doors and force them to live the life you demand?
    -- Joe

So you want people with guns to show up at others' doors and force them to live the life you demand?
    What I was saying about that religion thing.

Just the facts ma"am. Just the facts.

Penn Gillette has a great bit about how far we are willing to force others to live. He uses the example of assault and public libraries.

If you see someone committing assault it is most likely you will approve to have people with guns stop the assault. Then he explains how public libraries are important and asks if someone refuses to pay taxes to fund a public library, are you willing to send people with guns to force that person to pay those taxes? Because that is what happens. Where do you draw the line?

Someone demanding others to conform is the religious thing.
    -- Joe

Well I've never drawn a gun on my neighbors. even when they put a refrigerator box out in the trash when recycling is the next day.

Sure it has been done, and used as a argument for and against recycling.

I'm talking about force by proxy. Having the government force people into action.

I wrote more and deleted it because i was getting too political and perhaps personal, and I don't know you personally, so I have no business thinking that. Likely you and me would get along great over a beer some evening talking shop (bees). I think we are closer in philosophy of how to live that not, i just do not like the idea of government making rules that control my life. Perhaps that's a Rocky Mountain lifestyle (you notice Vance is from Montana and I live in Idaho).
    -- Joe

Perhaps that's a Rocky Mountain lifestyle (you notice Vance is from Montana and I live in Idaho).
    You both would fit in on any dock, even the hidden ones. Definitely would on my brother's dock.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast