How is that Global Warming thing working out for you? - Page 12
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Default Re: How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?

The basis of our convictions (beliefs) are pretty deep, subtle and often well hidden even from ourselves. The are not readily penatrated by hard logic; pounding on them only drives them deeper. Most likely it is the product of something that was valuable long ago in smaller groups where cohesion was highly important for survival. Concerted group effort was more important than hard factual explanations that likely were not available anyways.

Some mechanisms do not scale up well, like when the groups get thousands of times larger and the experiences are not so commonly shared. Maybe we will learn other methods to help us work more efficiently together. I think that will be a slow process. Our group identifiers no longer foster co operation; rather they appear to hamper it.

It is as it is!
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clong View Post
    We'll have longer days, and fewer days per year.
    So then we can finally rid ourselves of that pesky February 29th. Can't wait.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post

So in a way, the reduction of acid rain is increasing the consumption of fossil fuels. Kinda like when they lowered the sulfur in diesel fuel, everyone lost 10% of their fuel economy. We burn more now for the same job. Beautiful, ain't it.
    Well, just wait until 2020 when global emission standards for diesel come online for shipping. Estimations of the effects range from Armageddon to a mere 20% bump in prices, which off course includes everything that gets transported to anywhere.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Well, just wait until 2020 when global emission standards for diesel come online for shipping. Estimations of the effects range from Armageddon to a mere 20% bump in prices, which off course includes everything that gets transported to anywhere.

Alex
    It's likely not to be enforced anywhere but here.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    I always have an idea what I shouldn't have done after the fact.

At 0430 this morning it was -32F here and I recalled that on 2 February it was 58F. The next day the Chinese New Year, temperature had plummeted to 3F. I have a Chinese friend and believing there are no coincidences I asked him if possibly he has angered some celestial figure. He selfishly denies all responsibility, but this can't be allowed to go on! Does anyone know a Chinese exorcist?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    It's likely not to be enforced anywhere but here.
    It is under U.N. control, the International Maritime Organization. So yeah, I doubt that enforcement will be fair and even-handed.

Alex

Anything under UN control is a joke that probably will not bring any laughter. In the 90,s Sierra Leone was beset with rebels or terrorists preying upon their population amputating arms and legs from the civilian population. The president of that country at his wits end to end the slaughter of his people contracted with 200 mercenaries to deal with these thugs for a payment of about 4 million dollars. within a month these guys routed the thugs and drove them back to the northern country that they came from, the population was very happy and was co operating with the mercs and all was going well. Unfortunately a President with the name Clinton, heard about this and forced the president to cancel the 4 million dollar contract and proceeded to get the UN to take over the role of the 200 mercs and replaced them with 20,000 UN troops at a cost way way above 4 million. Sad to say within 6 months the rebel or terrorist brutality was back to where it was before but now also included the abuse of the native population by the UN troops. So some might put their faith in the UN but as far as I am concerned the sooner the US is out of the UN and the UN is out of the US the better it would be.

Yeah, and we had another president recently that was on board with the U.N. setting the rules for gun ownership. I think that was abandoned when they started discussing ways to enforce it and who would have to ring the first doorbell.

Alex

Coming in late, 'Didn't bother to read the first 10 pages - figured I'd save myself some aggravation.

Way back in the 70's, one of my Physics profs said we humans, being warm blooded, give off ~100 watts of heat, per hour. Multiply that by our current world population of 7-8 billion and we're pushing generating a trillion watts per hour, just by breathing. Then add in all the heat generated to provide for our many needs. Burning fossil fuels to generate heat & light, provide for transportation, and fuel industry for all the "stuff" we need. Just a guess, but perhaps another few trillion watts per hour, there. Perhaps much more. I'm sure those numbers are out there, somewhere...

So if you think you aren't contributing to "global warming", you might want to check your temperature. You may be running a fever . If you're stone cold dead, you may be excused, except for a lifetime of transgressions. And who can blame us for wanting to at least keep breathing?

There's a lot more to consider. Once trapped ( frozen) methane is precariously close to being released. Methane helps trap the heat we generate ala "the greenhouse effect". Well documented melting ice sheets are dumping trillions of tons of fresh water into the oceans. A rise in sea level pales in comparison to the likely added stresses off all those trillions of tons of shifted weight on the plate boundaries - (see volcanoes, earthquakes & tsunami's). To be fair, shifting that tremendous mass from the arctic's to the Pacific & other plates might have a stabilizing affect - that remains to be seen.

So buckle up. We may be in for a bit of a ride. Or check you temperature - you may be contributing more than you think.

The good news is that this is one of the relatively cooler periods in earth's history, and one good super-volcano can turn decades of human assisted global warming around, in a heartbeat.

In the mean time, the weather down here doesn't necessarily reflect the global trend.

Carry on...
    Last edited by Colobee; 03-04-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Anything under UN control is a joke that probably will not bring any laughter. In the 90,s Sierra Leone was beset with rebels or terrorists preying upon their population amputating arms and legs from the civilian population. The president of that country at his wits end to end the slaughter of his people contracted with 200 mercenaries to deal with these thugs for a payment of about 4 million dollars. within a month these guys routed the thugs and drove them back to the northern country that they came from, the population was very happy and was co operating with the mercs and all was going well. Unfortunately a President with the name Clinton, heard about this and forced the president to cancel the 4 million dollar contract and proceeded to get the UN to take over the role of the 200 mercs and replaced them with 20,000 UN troops at a cost way way above 4 million. Sad to say within 6 months the rebel or terrorist brutality was back to where it was before but now also included the abuse of the native population by the UN troops. So some might put their faith in the UN but as far as I am concerned the sooner the US is out of the UN and the UN is out of the US the better it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Colobee View Post

There's a lot more to consider. Once trapped ( frozen) methane is precariously close to being released.
    Glad we donīt have permafrost in Finland...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-weatherwatch

I, for one, won't be holding my breath.

I am trying to do my small part - restricting my "carbon footprint" whenever possible. That's about the only thing that every one of us can do as individuals.

As for waiting for someone else (like our governments) to "fix it" - again - not holding my breath, but I wish them all the best!
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

...but remember, it only takes one butterfly to end it all.

Build a fossil generator and you get to depreciate it. Oil well running dry? Well at least you got to write off all the costs. Ship it and the Coast Guard will keep it ice free and the channels marked. Need a pipeline, eminent domain is there if you need it. Want to run a pipeline in a highway ROW; no problem.

Buy a solar panel for your house and you may get a credit or refund for part of it. the rest you get to pay for, no depreciation unless a business and it may even increase your property tax and insurance.

Just do not want anyone pretending the government not involved in the fossil side too.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post

Just do not want anyone pretending the government not involved in the fossil side too.
    Subsidies vary in size in EU
    "Germany provided the biggest energy subsidies, with €27bn for renewable energy, almost three times the €9.5bn given to fossil fuels. Spain and Italy also gave more subsidies to renewable energy than fossil fuels.

But along with the UK, France, the Netherlands, Sweden and Ireland all gave more to fossil fuels. The report is based on 2016 Eurostat data, the latest available, and found that across the EU renewable energy received 45% of subsidies and fossil fuels 33%."

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nds-commission

Here some grafts CO2, CH4, N20,temperature, sea level and ocean O2. Source information in the upper corner of each.
    https://www.climatelevels.org/?pid=2...eme=grid-light

Juhani,
    Not sure how to ask this; do you have an idea of how much wealth has stayed in Germany because they have not bought foreign fossil fuels?

What has been the impact upon the price of electricity? I'm sure the results have much to do with how you count.

Not intending to put you on the spot if the info is not available.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Juhani,
    Not sure how to ask this; do you have an idea of how much wealth has stayed in Germany because they have not bought foreign fossil fuels?
    Would not have a clue.

Denmark has a lot of companies making wind mills. Climate change is an opportunity to make new innovations and business with cleaner technology. This is what we try in Finland too. One company in Kotka is making coffee cups totally out of renewable materials, no plastic covering to make it water tight.

Just back from voluteering in Cambodia. They have missed out on two wet seasons.
    Here in Australia we have floods in the north, extreme dry in western and Southern areas and snow in Tasmania. The honey crop is down by 90% in this state.
    It was not planned like this....
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Agreed Max, the weather seems to have gone all to heck in Australia last few years.

My daughter in Melbourne nearly had to evacuate her house last week.

Been weird in NZ for that matter also, average temperatures over the last couple of months running around 9 F above normal, and no serious rain where i live through that period. New bush fires erupting around the country several times a week, some of them taking weeks to put out. Some of our firefighters are over in Ozzy supporting them so we are short on manpower.

Beekeepers can't get to their bees, entry to some forest areas has been banned completely to everyone due to extreme fire risk, you just can't get in.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Agreed Max, the weather seems to have gone all to heck in Australia last few years.

!!!!!I pretty well got rid of all my cattle before the last winter and I'm not game to buy any. Too dry and the outlook is poor.

My daughter in Melbourne nearly had to evacuate her house last week.

!!!!Not surprised - the fires got very close to homes.

Been weird in NZ for that matter also, average temperatures over the last couple of months running around 9 F above normal, and no serious rain where i live through that period. New bush fires erupting around the country several times a week, some of them taking weeks to put out. Some of our firefighters are over in Ozzy supporting them so we are short on manpower.

!!!We need them for sure - it has been bad all over and there is no good rain anywhere to be seen.

Beekeepers can't get to their bees, entry to some forest areas has been banned completely to everyone due to extreme fire risk, you just can't get in.
    !!!We don't have these restrictions at this point but the lack of rain will affect the flowering. Not an easy game.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast