How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?

I see Chicago is supposed to be colder than the North Pole but not as cold as where I grew up in north central North Dakota was then. When you can't believe a thing the Government says or their toadies in what used to be actual science, There is no alternative to just sitting back and throwing another log on the fire. We are in the depths of an ice age and the interglacial phase that has allowed man to move past fur coats and starvation into agriculture has already lasted longer than normal interglacial periods. I am just glad that I wrap my bees like they do in Peace River Alberta and will be able to keep my bees alive as it cools. So lets all do the right thing and go out and throw old tires in the fire pit! Global cooling means starvation.

Default Re: How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?

LOL
    Well you may not be burning tires but you sure feel like throwing gasoline.

How am I doing? Not what my Great Grand parents did. Not walking across the Kennebec river, not taking a sleigh to Portland across 20 miles or so of frozen Casco Bay.
    Not doing what I did in the 60's. Not ice skating on Thanksgiving, not ice skating on miles of frozen salt bay. Sometimes skims over now.
    Not what I did in the 70's; Not snowmobiling on snow, all brown outside.

Going to hop in my magic truck where my exhaust disappears, leaving my magic house where my chimney does not smoke. Will turn off the lights so my magic electricity does not come from natural gas. Not my problem.

Do like your bee stuff though.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

55 below F. up around Kapuskasing Ontario last night! Not a record though! Used to be colder in the good old days (best remembered by those with failing memorys)!

For some of us a bit of warming up would not be bad, but tell that to folks in low coastal areas.

Keep that fire going Vance.
    Frank

Hey Frank I am a quarter mile from the Chesapeake bay and according to Al Gore and company maybe in 10 years or so my property will end up being waterfront, then I will be so rich that I could give up beekeeping and retire.

The climate has been MUCH more moderate in the last decade or two. Back in the 80s I saw it -40 F two different winters and one winter it was -40 every night for a month and a half. Not long after that it was 114 F and the honey was running out of the entrance of the bee hives and the chickens had to be hosed off to keep them from dying. They were sitting in holes they dug in the dirt with their feathers all ruffled, their wings out and panting. Winters are much more normal and less extreme. Not that Nebraska winters weren't always extreme. The record low for the state was set back in 1899 in Camp Clark and again in 1989 in Oshkosh. I've always heard it was -44 F but I've heard both times listed as -47 F as well. I think the -44 F is correct. But we haven't broken it since 1889. State record high was in 1936 and that was 118 F. So the temperatures are more moderate than they have been, though still extreme by some standards.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Michael - " the chickens had to be hosed off to keep them from dying."
    You never, never hose chickens to cool them off - you wet the ground they are on.

About the climate - the old storey : people are confused about weather and climate.

Have a look at Australian news; record heat, record floods, bush fires. Believe it or not climate it is changing.

I volunteer in Camboodia 3 times a year. They used to be able to predict the start of little wet and normal wet season - no more.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The climate has been MUCH more moderate in the last decade or two. Back in the 80s I saw it -40 F two different winters and one winter it was -40 every night for a month and a half. Not long after that it was 114 F and the honey was running out of the entrance of the bee hives and the chickens had to be hosed off to keep them from dying. They were sitting in holes they dug in the dirt with their feathers all ruffled, their wings out and panting. Winters are much more normal and less extreme. Not that Nebraska winters weren't always extreme. The record low for the state was set back in 1899 in Camp Clark and again in 1989 in Oshkosh. I've always heard it was -44 F but I've heard both times listed as -47 F as well. I think the -44 F is correct. But we haven't broken it since 1889. State record high was in 1936 and that was 118 F. So the temperatures are more moderate than they have been, though still extreme by some standards.
    The record high in North Dakota was in 1936 also at 121 That same year the record low for the state was 61 below. I lived in the kinder days when it was only -50 once where I was at and -49 twice those dates were 1966 and 1984. Warmer is better

Well, probably don't see much beach erosion in Montana.

A little more personal when you see the tide going into the trees several times a year on a normal full moon. It took a full moon and a storm in my youth. Trees can shake off an occasional salt dip. Can't go swimming though. Those 20 ft clay banks don't stand much of a chance. That's land my ancestors left to fight in the revolution. There is a map of my 7th grandfather's 1810 devise. Whole lot of field that is now cove.

Not sure if the point is it's not real, not bad, or simply "see no evil feel no evil".

Saltybee the sea level has been rising ever since, can you figure the ammount of silt that has gone into the oceans over millions of years of erosion do you not think that this could have a great deal to do with the rise. This is all the nature of the planet that we live on and there is very little we can do to influence it.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Hey Frank I am a quarter mile from the Chesapeake bay and according to Al Gore and company maybe in 10 years or so my property will end up being waterfront, then I will be so rich that I could give up beekeeping and retire.
    When that happens you will just complain about the property taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    55 below F. up around Kapuskasing Ontario last night! Not a record though! Used to be colder in the good old days (best remembered by those with failing memorys)!

For some of us a bit of warming up would not be bad, but tell that to folks in low coastal areas.

Keep that fire going Vance.
    There is absolutely no evidence of general water level rise. Area do suffer subsidence and being risen due to nasty plate techtonics. The South sea Island that was most certain to be sunk by now has more land area than ever. Can't remember the name! Yes I threw some gasoline. If we go back to maunder minimum levels, hundreds of millions will die! Warmer is better.

koffee klatch is where I go to loose respect for people. I can't believe how smart some people are about bees and how willfully ignorant they are about other things. Hur Dur it's cold outside! Global warming is a conspiracy! Give me a break.

How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?
    Has anyone asked the Australians? From what I read, most are not happy with the warm weather they're experiencing right now. I know, I know, the earth has experienced extreme weather events in the past and will do so in the future, and this is part of the natural cycle and there's nothing to worry about.

Hmmm. So unless this gets less personal and political this thread will be Tailgated. Nothing wrong with the conversation but this sub forum will not be the host.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I see Chicago is supposed to be colder than the North Pole but not as cold as where I grew up in north central North Dakota was then. When you can't believe a thing the Government says or their toadies in what used to be actual science, There is no alternative to just sitting back and throwing another log on the fire. We are in the depths of an ice age and the interglacial phase that has allowed man to move past fur coats and starvation into agriculture has already lasted longer than normal interglacial periods. I am just glad that I wrap my bees like they do in Peace River Alberta and will be able to keep my bees alive as it cools. So lets all do the right thing and go out and throw old tires in the fire pit! Global cooling means starvation.
    Why are we talking about this, Vance? Is this a political board or a beekeeping one? You sound like Sarah Palin. In case you haven't heard, it's Global Climate Change--which means EXTREMES of every kind of weather, along with overall warming, melting of the pole ice and rising sea level. Honestly...this is Just. So. Tedious. Having to deal with misinformation and paranoids all over the map. Let's stick to beekeeping, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by highcountrylisa View Post
    Let's stick to beekeeping, huh?
    Yup.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

"Coffee Klatch
    Share and seek information on hobbies and interests other than beekeeping."

Is this not the case any longer? or does this particular "interest" not qualify?

Hey Guys dont forget this is the BS section of BS

This is not about daily weather swings.

This is about consistent trends like this one:
    Melting glaciers in Arctic reveal land hidden for 40,000 years

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ays/ar-BBSTGVO
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Smile Re: How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Hey Guys dont forget this is the BS section of BS
    True. Please check you thin skin at the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast