How is that Global Warming thing working out for you? - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: How is that Global Warming thing working out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    You both would fit in on any dock, even the hidden ones. Definitely would on my brother's dock.
    I'm taking that as a compliment...

On an unrelated note: you being from the NE area, you rooting for the Pats today? I just hate the Rams (Seahawks fan since '78), so go Pats!
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I do not agree with that Brother, but I do like him, so yes.

High school lineman so not into the quarterback that much. All about the lines.

only time Pats get respect is when they play against a fan's main rival. That lasts for about 3 hours.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

I played offensive guard and linebacker in high school, linebacker in college at the UI. I am all about defensive play. And you know what happened between my Beloved Hawks and the patriots last time they played in the big game. This is the third bowl for Belichick/Brady since then, so nothing but respect.

But admittedly, my two favorite teams are the Seahawks and whoever is playing the rams....
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

I am sure a lot of people will have stories of how Brady cheated. He is nearly as good as Montana was.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmje View Post
    I'm talking about force by proxy. Having the government force people into action.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmje View Post
    Penn Gillette has a great bit about how far we are willing to force others to live.

Someone demanding others to conform is the religious thing.

Yep, global warming is dividing us.

We are going to see more like this:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-stations.html
    https://bgr.com/2019/01/02/tesla-hat...rger-stations/

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Yep, global warming is dividing us.

We are going to see more like this:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-stations.html
    https://bgr.com/2019/01/02/tesla-hat...rger-stations/
    Just looked at the picture of the white truck parked in the charging space. It looks like a 'bee' truck to me.

If true, that is beyond childish, but some of the comments are suspect. How does one accidentally flag down a Sheriff? And why would LE knock on doors in lieu of going to the front desk to get info on the offenders?

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Don't know about globally, but it cooled off to -14 F last night and my natural gas furnace died. Fortunately, I maintain a wood stove for such times and power outages and keep a small supply of wood. Otherwise it would be an expensive plumbing job by now!

Sorry to hear that. Keep warm.

Don't know about globally, but it cooled off to -14 F last night and my natural gas furnace died. Fortunately, I maintain a wood stove for such times and power outages and keep a small supply of wood. Otherwise it would be an expensive plumbing job by now!

Moledinger, sometimes, how you look at a piece of land depends on whether you are a duck hunter or a cotton farmer.
    David. Cheerful beekeeping

sometimes, how you look at a piece of land depends on whether you are a duck hunter or a cotton farmer.[/QUOTE]

For me, it has worked out well in recent years as it has brought more rain to the somewhat dry area where I have bees. More rain equals more flowers.

However, climate change has brought us some extreme storms....wind and rain....which have brought devastation to places such as Kauai north shore while just missing us. So, it's being beneficial but has increased the chance of having a really devastating storm or hurricane.

And that's what is happening. Climate change is creating extreme weather throughout the world. This includes oceans warming and sea levels rising with the rapid melting of polar ice and glaciers.

When I count (well ballpark, count is it's own exaggeration) the local costs I count ticks. Maine in the 60's had ticks, but the only one I ever saw was on a tagged deer. My personal record is 9 in one day from being in my yard. 1300+ something confirmed Lyme in Maine last year. As the oldest state in the USA that is a lot of Medicare, and health premiums for everyone, let alone a lot of non-productive sick people. Moose calves dying from ticks. Ticks are moving north, including lone star ticks surviving winter. thank you very much. Some evidence changes to gut bacteria are improving winter survival. Interesting but not in a good way.

There are no termites in Maine. Nary a building built with any proofing. So when, not if.

It is the same crowd of scientists who predict man made warming as give you the weekly weather report. Now I grant you they are not always perfect, and you can predict winter over summer yourself, but they are not total fools and do not trick you with fake news either.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/450k...o2_524x291.jpg

Here's the temperature and CO2 over the last 450,000 years... I'm sure we did not create all these ups and downs since people were supposedly not even here for most of this...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Fair point, but not on target.

I have no doubt the world will adapt to high temps. I just do not think a 450k year timeline captures the impact on my life's timeline nor that of my immediate offspring generations timeline.

The idea that the world will not change without burning fossil fuels is as distorted as believing the metals and co2 from burning fossil fuels disappear.

This should be kept simple - cut the air pollution.
    Whatever happens after that - is out of human control and is to be adapted to.
    But the pollution must go.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Vance correctly pointed out there is a human cost to a carbon tax, it would cost more to heat your house. I would add on a medical cost from colder houses and the elderly. He values freedom as a cost, agree.

some other factors;
    ). In 2000, Northeast residential customers consumed nearly 4,682 million gallons
    (1,111.5 million barrels). By 2012 (the latest information available), consumption declined by
    43% to 2,683 million gallons (63.8 million barrels).

Yet by 2013 the NE heating oil price was nearly $4 a gallon. There are a lot of reasons demand has dropped; natural gas, insulation, pellets, better furnaces. I am paying less for my heating oil because the demand is less. Heating oil is in the same class as diesel and jet fuel (just so you do not feel left out). Is it smart for me to encourage other people to invest their money in reducing fuel oil demand more?

So Vance is counting one way and I am counting another. Both of us are pulling our numbers out of a similar location. To butcher an old line about prostitution; We are no longer talking about morality, we are talking about price.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    This should be kept simple - cut the air pollution.
    Whatever happens after that - is out of human control and is to be adapted to.
    But the pollution must go.
    We could argue for another 6 pages about what constitutes "air pollution."

Some things are plain obvious. Air pollution is air pollution.

Some folks can see the obvious, the earth's climate is changing.

Some folks are comfy just how they are, and think denying climate change can keep that comfyness maintained a bit longer.

Some folks think the earth is flat.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Very true Oldtimer. If you believe in the Devil, you will find him behind every bush. If you don't believe in the Devil, you will never see him.

We see what we want to see and we are blind to those things we do not want to see. The human animal has developed the unique ability to bull **** itself like no other species on Earth.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast