hive autopsy photos - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: hive autopsy photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    Treated at the wrong time. you need to treat before the hive makes the winter bees .
    THIS

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thank you , all for your guidance

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    maybe in your neck of the woods, but not in NY in the winter when it hasn't been above freezing since the end of Oct.
    Point taken...... yep beekeeping is a lot location and I forgot to look at the posters location. Dying in the hive in NY make sense. Here bees never have temps for many days they can't fly. Thanks
    sc-bee

Quote Originally Posted by ny12569 View Post
    I did see a large amount of mites on bottom sticky board for first two weeks of treatment and it slowly declined from that point and by large count I would approximated 4 per 100 and by the end 1.5 per 100 and that as I said was an estimate. I am planning on reusing the comb for my spring bees it has no foul odor or coloring no sign of disease that I could tell
    How do you estimate a per hundred count by looking at total mite drop on a sticky board? I look at total drop, 20 100, 400, +1000 and that is the number. Per hundred means you are estimating the total number of bees in the hive too.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by ny12569 View Post
    Comb has unfortunately been cleaned and brushed before putting into my chest freezer for use in the spring. I treated with Apivar the first week in October for 6 weeks with the 2 strips per deep. The treatment was newly purchased and unopened I did see a large amount of mites on bottom sticky board for first two weeks of treatment and it slowly declined from that point and by large count I would approximated 4 per 100 and by the end 1.5 per 100 and that as I said was an estimate. I am planning on reusing the comb for my spring bees it has no foul odor or coloring no sign of disease that I could tell
    Everyone gave you good answers for not physically viewing your hive. Doing mite counts is a good habit to have and it is so easy. Look at NY Bee Wellness utube videos, Randy has shown how to do this. I bought Saskatraz queens which are touted for being VSH did one mite roll (one mite) and didnít treat. That hive had PMS by late summer. All it takes is one bee with a hitchhiking varroa mite to infect your hives with them. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12