Pollinator Friendly 'Living Snow Fence'

Default Pollinator Friendly 'Living Snow Fence'

The DOT wants to put a Living Snow Fence to stop blowing snow across the highway next to the farmer's fields. I was wondering if there was any trees that would work for such a purpose that would be bee friendly for a Zone 3/4 area? Currently they are planting pine trees as they keep their needles all winter. Watching Richard Noel's latest YT video got me thinking there must be some plants that would work. I know I had planned on planting cherry trees along the road on my fields, but they drop their leaves so wouldn't be such an effective snow fence.

Anyone have any ideas? It would be really nice if we could convince them to put in several miles of beneficial trees instead of pine trees.
    46.91 N

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have used fernbrush for this. It's Hardy to 4b , so maybe it would work. I have seen it grown as a hedge as well growing about 6 feet tall. Might be tough to get out east though.

https://plantselect.org/plant/chamae...a-millefolium/

Default Re: Pollinator Friendly 'Living Snow Fence'

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post

Anyone have any ideas? It would be really nice if we could convince them to put in several miles of beneficial trees instead of pine trees.
    Willows - beneficial early pollen/nectar source; grow fast; not evergreen - but they can create a nice thicket and a great wind/snow break.
    Amur privet - good nectar source in June (my bumble bees go crazy on privet); slower growing, but do create a nice thicket too (good wind/snow break); though, privet is non-native, if that is important.

In general, most all ever-greens are use-less to bees and pollinators.
    You want blooming, deciduous bush varieties that create thicket and tend to spread. Google on hedge plants.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.