Bees from the Tropics

Default Bees from the Tropics

Can bees from Tropical climates such as Puerto Rico adapt easily to other colder climates or are they more likely to die off than their European and other counterparts?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees from the Tropics

My understanding is that all the honeybees in the new world located in the tropics are now Africanized (AHB's). I am told, no proof offered, that AHB's do not cluster in the cold weather the same way the purely European bees do. Thus, they are not well adapted to cold weather climates.

Would anyone else care to comment on this? I am meeting with a researcher from the University Agricultural department soon. So hopefully will have more info.

As for the cold weather adaptation, does anyone else have any input to chime in with?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by karmahoneyproject View Post
    Would anyone else care to comment on this? I am meeting with a researcher from the University Agricultural department soon. So hopefully will have more info.

As for the cold weather adaptation, does anyone else have any input to chime in with?

Thanks!
    I have read that AHB do not do well or migrate Above 35-40 degrees north or below 35-40 south. However, Tom Seeley checked on some "wild" bees in upstate NY and they had a significant AHB DNA.