Ugly plastic foundation, will they use it?

Default Ugly plastic foundation, will they use it?

Would a strong hive fill this frame out if I place it in the middle and feed them? I have about 10 of these sitting around and dont know if they are worth keeping. Thanks for any advice. IMG_0877.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ugly plastic foundation, will they use it?

Yes they will draw it out. Especially if you put a coat of wax on them.

I'll second the yes, i would scrape it all the way down and then add a coating of wax, the bees won't care what it actually looks like if it's usable.

I'd scrape it clean of loose and foul debris. If it still wasn't looking good, a quick scrub-down with water and a brush will tidy things up nicely. You have less than a dozen of them so that won't take more than fifteen minutes. (Bucket of warm water, outside, and a sturdy scrub brush is all you'll need.) Then recoat them with melted wax.

Why allow the bees to invest the time and effort involved in drawing fresh wax over a less than great substrate, when a minor amount of your effort will fix it? High quality drawn comb is the most valuable resource in a hive, both to the bees and the beekeeper.

Nancy

Last year I was given around thirty plastic foundation frames that the wax moths had gotten into. They looked real bad. After scraping and a soak in some hot water with bleach, they cleaned up pretty nice and most of them got drawn out last summer. Still have a few the bees did not take to, so they will get rewaxed this spring. I use an Igloo cooler to soak the frames in. It will hold 10 deep frames at a time.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

One of the best things that plastic foundation has going for it is that you can re-wax it and be good to go. That and the amount of support it offers when extracting, in comparison to the time involved in wiring wax foundation.
    Last edited by ShrekVa; 01-24-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Like they all said... clean it and rewax it.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Scrape/brush it clean & rewax. Bees don't care what it looks like... it's dark in a hive.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Last year I was given around thirty plastic foundation frames that the wax moths had gotten into. They looked real bad. After scraping and a soak in some hot water with bleach, they cleaned up pretty nice and most of them got drawn out last summer. Still have a few the bees did not take to, so they will get rewaxed this spring. I use an Igloo cooler to soak the frames in. It will hold 10 deep frames at a time.
    I GAVE Odfrank a whole case of new plastic foundation PRE-WAXED and all he did was complain about them!
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

No.....you gave me plastic frames that you knew are a brace comb nitemare. I have marked and followed old rewaxed Ritecell and I will gladly accept that. And there is already a thread on that frame subject. You are boring the BS members by repeating subjects due to your senility.

QUOTE=Charlie B;1693247]
    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I GAVE Odfrank a whole case of new plastic foundation PRE-WAXED and all he did was complain about them! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/scratch_head.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Thank you for all of the responses! I will be scrubbing the foundation down and coating it with wax in time for the bees to start their spring!

A pressure washer is easier.
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.