Next to a neighborhood

Default Next to a neighborhood

Hi!

So I’ve got an apiary that back directly up to a newly developed neighborhood. 20 hives in all. Is this going to a be an issue I should start taking care of now before people move in? What should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Next to a neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by derekt2828 View Post
    Hi!

So Iíve got an apiary that back directly up to a newly developed neighborhood. 20 hives in all. Is this going to a be an issue I should start taking care of now before people move in? What should I do?
    Though the public is more tolerant of bees these days, the best thing to do is hide the bees. Out of sight, out of mind applies here.

It only takes one complainer to get you out. Also a barrier that the bees have to fly over like a high fence or hedge improves your chances.

It's probably a little late to apply any of this; however, good luck in your endeavor.

Well, it depends.
    You very well have the rights to grand-fathering your apiary since you are already there.
    Or maybe you must not be keeping the bees at all - per your local regulations.

You need to be asking these questions asap of your local administration (city, town, village) - not on this board.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Dere, please add at least the state and county you are in to your information. As mentioned, you need to find out what the local laws are. A high privacy fence is a good idea to help keep them out of the neighbors yard. Part of this will also depend on how deep the lots are.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida