Water Source Distance

Default Water Source Distance

Will have 2 new hives this spring and keep reading about having them near a water source. The 2 best spots I have, have a creek about 250 yards away and a large pond 550 yards away. I’m located in Mississippi and it isn’t uncommon for creeks to dry up in summer time. I know they travel far, but is 550 yards away to pond an unreasonable distance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Water Source Distance

Dee Lusby's Father-in-law told me that they couldn't get any production in their hives in Arizona until they put them within a quarter mile (440 yards) of a reliable source of water. I'd say 550 yards isn't too far out, but a closer source might be worth putting out for the bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Is it possible to put in a small dam on the nearby creek?

The closer the hive is to water, the less time/energy the bees will spend on bringing water to the hive.
    A cheap water source for bees can be build out of a scrap toilet tank with an attached water hose. Just flush it regularly to keep the mosquito population down.

I’m pretty new to the property. It’s very primitive. I may need to clear an open area closer to pond. Or find the mythical spring that is on the property.

You could also make a new water source like many do here in Texas for deer and other wildlife. A water tote or clean 55 gallon drum, valve and bowl with float from a local feed store and you have a gravity fed water supply. Set if off the ground enough to keep large animals out of it and it should last a long time. Left at a drip onto some cloth may last half the summer idk
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Burley: I will be happy to come down and witch that mythical spring for ya. J

Thanks J for the offer. My brother is actually already doing that for me once I get some new roads cut.

I have a pond about that far away. They'll go to the neighbors bird bath before going to the pond. I put a bucket 20 or so yards away with a bunch of wine corks floating on top. As long as I keep water in it the bees use it over other sources.

Deer like it too in the mornings before the bees get at it.

Quote Originally Posted by zonedar View Post
    I have a pond about that far away. They'll go to the neighbors bird bath before going to the pond. I put a bucket 20 or so yards away with a bunch of wine corks floating on top. As long as I keep water in it the bees use it over other sources.

Deer like it too in the mornings before the bees get at it.

I like that idea. I have a ton of wine corks saved. Thanks

I keep a chicken waterer right by my hives, but dont see them use it very often....

Might try the bucket and corks to see if they like that better!

I have a bird bath in the center of the apiary. The bees use it regularly. There are ponds and creeks less 1/4 of a mile away also, but I like to make it easy for them.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I have a bird bath in the center of the apiary. The bees use it regularly. There are ponds and creeks less 1/4 of a mile away also, but I like to make it easy for them.
    We have a bird bath right next to the bucket. But it drys out too quickly. Bucket can go days between refills.

True, in the summer I have to refill it every two days. Lucky for me it is in the backyard. My first year, I found the bees all over a leaky garden hose. Left it out for them all season.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.