Mini Mating Nucs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Mini Mating Nucs

Files are hosted here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3356272

This Cad thing with Fusion 360 is quite a learning experience and still have not got the hang of sharpening my mouse on the pencil sharpener.
    ya its a sharp learing curve
    I found a left hand mouse to be quite a handy addition, really speed things up https://www.3dconnexion.com/spacemouse_compact/en/
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I am a non-tech guy. All I can say is that [email protected]&! is cool. And I am envious. And now permanently left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I am a non-tech guy. All I can say is that [email protected]&! is cool. And I am envious. And now permanently left behind.
    this is exactly how i feel!!

my print bed is too small. maybe i can hack the landing board off and it will fit. i will play with it

I can fit 2 lol

My $200 Creality Ender has a bed 235mm x 235mm and fits on rather neatly, the CR-10 bedd is 300mm x 300mm so no problems there. Now the Monoprice V1 bed is 120mm x 120mm so I barely get the mini frame on diagonally. If you google " Gear Best" they have the Ender at around $178 plus 20 shipping a good buy I think.
    Johno

apologies for repeatedly sounding like a total moron but im lost...how the heck does the printer know how to make the nuc to the write dimensions. I get that information is in the computer code but how does that code in the shareable file get made? does some super computer dude write that program? is there a scanner that scans the object you want to print in this case a stryofoam mating nuc?

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    you start with a CAD program and draw the item, export it as a STL file to a 3d printer. Or you get the STL file from someone.
    yes there are scanners as well
    but with simple items like the nuc box you just get out a pair of calpers, measure and draw

the cad file is exported as an STL file, that file is "sliced" by the printer software in to thin layers and that infomaion is exported to the printer in G-code. the printer then makes one thin layer at a time
    The soft ware has gotten real good, its mostly plug and play... unlike CNC milling witch after a year is still kicking my but
    Last edited by msl; 01-15-2019 at 12:01 PM.

yea my print bead is 220x220

got ya covered..
    added the hive body as 3 pieces for those with smaller printers https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3356272
    Landing board, brood chamber, feeder... super glue is your freind

I started making these and played with settings trying to get the print time down but with a faster print the feeder section wont hold water and I will have to paint the inside of the feeder with hot beeswax to seal the inside, The last one I made I used finer settings around 0.12 height of print which put the print time to around 30 hours but was finished very well and the feeder holds water, so at the end of the day better to run slower and produce a better nuc. The other point of interest is that the frames and lid when in position sort of slip and slide around with the plastic to plastic contact so if you rub the top edge with a small block of beeswax the top does not slide around and also if you do the same to the contact edges for the frames they also tend to remain seated when moved around.
    Johno

Aran, the nuc box is not solid plastic. The floor and the walls are all hollow and you can choose how hollow by the percentage of infill you choose. there are slicing programs that are a free download and often come with the micro chip that comes with the printer. The complete nuc with lid frames and entrance disc weighs 440 grams whereas the polystyrene nuc complete weighs in at about 350 grams. These printers are definitely an adult toy that can keep amind busy in the winter.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Correct size...maybe 3/5 or 4/6.
    Large enough openings on the mesh
    Long enough points on edges of cage to contact midrib
    Maybe you just need to snail mail him one with a sticky note as to what you think you would like to see.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Aran, the nuc box is not solid plastic. The floor and the walls are all hollow and you can choose how hollow by the percentage of infill you choose. there are slicing programs that are a free download and often come with the micro chip that comes with the printer. The complete nuc with lid frames and entrance disc weighs 440 grams whereas the polystyrene nuc complete weighs in at about 350 grams. These printers are definitely an adult toy that can keep amind busy in the winter.
    Johno
    oh man just sounds like this is outa my tech league by a mile lol. Ill have to stick with making my gear outa plywood.

Jounno I would suggest that you watch Barnyard Bees on youtube he uses a lot of mini mating nucs and is a wealth of expertise

Quote Originally Posted by aran;

oh man just sounds like this is outa my tech league by a mile lol. Ill have to stick with making my gear outa plywood.

Crankhandl I have been rearing queens with 4 frame medium nucs, but that uses a lot of resources so I watched some videos on the University Of Guelph in Canada using the styrene mini nucs and that is when I decided to look at the mini's. By the way I hope to be down your way in 2012 as I plan to visit my daughter in Tasmania.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Aran, the nuc box is not solid plastic. The floor and the walls are all hollow and you can choose how hollow by the percentage of infill you choose.
    Where is that "percentage of infill" put? Does the printer ask for it?

The slicing program does.. you set layer thickness, infill and the wall thickness various-infill-densities-of-the-same-infill-pattern-kronr-pinshape-180619.jpg
    Last edited by msl; 01-16-2019 at 11:23 PM.

I print the boxes with a 10% infill and they work out just fine. I mentioned that if the layer height is set too coarse you may not hold water in the feeder and would have to coat the inside of the feeder with hot beeswax. The layer height I use is .12.
    Johno

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast