Mini Mating Nucs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mini Mating Nucs

The nucs I built last year ended up being rather clumsy so I printed some that have the same inside dimensions as the polystyrene mating nucs and will try them out in the spring. The cost os producing them is under $10 apiece of course you will need a 3D printer.IMG_1448.jpg
    Johno

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mini Mating Nucs

Are the STL files public or private? i would love to have a copy of them if they are public.

Neat. Love the 3D frames. What no 3D foundation?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Very nice
    Could I get your file? fusion 360 preferred [email protected]
    I am bringing 10 Foam minys on line this year and once they get them going I want to pull the feeders and run them 5 frame, Ian style. So I was looking at printing some frames
    I had thought about printing some nucs, but at under $12 shipped for the foam one on ebay, I went for the extra insulation figgerd it might get me an extra cycle.

Still wishing someone would print a good push-in cage.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    The nucs I built last year ended up being rather clumsy so I printed some that have the same inside dimensions as the polystyrene mating nucs and will try them out in the spring. The cost os producing them is under $10 apiece of course you will need a 3D printer.IMG_1448.jpg
    Johno
    as a total utter tech imbecile that i am...how does one get a 3d printer to make these gadgets?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Still wishing someone would print a good push-in cage.
    You had said that before a few years back, what do you want to see in a push in a cage?

Msl I have sent 3 STL files to the given email address let me know if you get them and can use them as they did not go my normal email way after clicking on your link. I am quite willing to share these files just have to figure out how to do so. By the way this can all be printed on the Creality Ender which retails for under $200 but will need a little assembly at home. AS these prints take quite a bit of time you had better have a small back up power supply cause just a power dip and you go back to square one. And Michael I have printed some California style queen cages but normally just bend up some 1/8" hardware cloth for push in cages.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    And Michael I have printed some California style queen cages but normally just bend up some 1/8" hardware cloth for push in cages.
    Johno
    I use the same. They wear out. Sometimes pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    You had said that before a few years back, what do you want to see in a push in a cage?
    Correct size...maybe 3/5 or 4/6.
    Large enough openings on the mesh
    Long enough points on edges of cage to contact midrib

jono it didn't come threw.. It wasn't sposed to be a link, just an email address... BS turned it in to a link some
    you might be able to copy past the adress in to your normal email system, or send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an email you can reply to
    If you in a shareing mood on the files https://www.thingiverse.com/ is a good site for it, I have an account there if you don't want to bother making your own.
    Base cad files are prefered if possibly, STLs are very hard to modify do to the lack of details in them

as a total utter tech imbecile that i am...how does one get a 3d printer to make these gadgets?
    you start with a CAD program and draw the item, export it as a STL file to a 3d printer. Or you get the STL file from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    jono it didn't come threw.. It wasn't sposed to be a link, just an email address... BS turned it in to a link some
    you might be able to copy past the adress in to your normal email system, or send me a PM with your email address and I will send you an email you can reply to
    If you in a shareing mood on the files https://www.thingiverse.com/ is a good site for it, I have an account there if you don't want to bother making your own.
    Base cad files are prefered if possibly, STLs are very hard to modify do to the lack of details in them

you start with a CAD program and draw the item, export it as a STL file to a 3d printer. Or you get the STL file from someone.
    im gonna have to look into getting one of these gadgets!

Ok I have sent 4 STL files to your address MSL only STL files as I do not have access to fusion 350 at this time. The mini frames take waxed ritecell from medium foundation cut into 90mm strips and then cut in half so you get 8 pieces from 1 sheet of ritecell foundation. I have tried to get into thingiverse a few times but eventually gave up trying to register with them. This Cad thing with Fusion 360 is quite a learning experience and still have not got the hang of sharpening my mouse on the pencil sharpener.
    Johno

Jkellum if I can send the Stl files on line you are welcome to them, otherwise we will have to find another way. Lets see what the outcome with MLS is.
    Johno

johno i sent you a pm with my email address

thnaks for the files
    Looks like about 120mm across the top bar... my nucs seem to be 117.85 +- with a 117mm topbar
    here is a link to a similar sized frame as yours, that can be layed out as 4 or 1 or 2 peice, some foundation files etc the 4 pice might save you a bit of time and support material on the print
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2483473

b2409b2d882076ab5e21aa7a3ebe8169_preview_featured.jpg

here is a super for a Apidea, but again it seems to be just slightly bigger then my china knock off but might fit yours
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3046739/files
    best of luck
    Oh, BYW how did your 3d printed II rig come out?
    and... just thinkling, how do you make your cells ?
    Last edited by msl; 01-13-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Curious,
    Is the solid pattern a necessity to make the foundation?
    Always thought plastic foundation with an open web (no center) would be closer to festooning and be accepted better.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Ok , first of all I took the inside dimensions off of the Mann Lake mini mating nuc, there may be others out there. and as to the foundation rightcell is cut and slipped into the printed framesand there are holes in the framewith which you can pin the foundation to the frame. There is also a cutout in the bottom of the box where I glue some aluminum screen for ventilation purposes and I will also be gluing some 3/4" styro foam onto the lid to prevent overheating in the sun. The glue I have used is Titebond 2 also glued little wood strips under the box to allow ventilation. The II rig has not been completed, still need sting hooks and cap tubes to be made.
    Johno

there may be others out there
    that was what I was saying, mine seems to be off compared to others, not suggesting yours was "wrong" in any way
    Did you want me to add yours to thingiverse and post up a link?

MSL, yes I suspected that there would be other designs out there but chose the Mann Lake for dimensions as they were the ones used by Guelph. Now the styrene ones use starter strips on their frames but I thought to just jump the gun and cut up ritecell foundation to try to get a quicker start to comb building. There does not seem to be any way to increase to 5 or 6 frames as the feeder section is part of the molding. And yes please feel free to put this stuff up on thingiverse if you think it would be of interest to anyone.
    Johno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast