Tenbears?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tenbears?

Default Tenbears?

Suddenly occurred to me I had seen no activity from tenbears. Looked up activity and he has been off the site since last June. I wish him or the family well whichever is appropriate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Tenbears?

Agreed. Hope we hear soon!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

about this time last year
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I don't come to beesource much anymore.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...57#post1595557

He became involved in kind of a nasty dust up here in June; https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...7207-Mann-Lake
    Frank

more to the point, he hadn't posted in 5 mouths and then started that thread.... he was done with BS
    The brain drain lately is a bummer
    Now if you consider that thread a "nasty dust up" I hate to think what you think of some of my posts,

You are probably younger and have thicker skin; You can give as good as you get!

Not being judgemental about that exchange, but can understand there being some variance of opinions and conclusions.

I agree that we appear to have lost many valuable contributors.
    Frank

Yes the forum is still staggered by the loss of Acebird. Interest come and go. People get tired of pushing the same boulder up the hill only to face the same fantasies of magic bees that require only left alone to produce a lake of honey and be happily waiting for the keeper in the spring ready to do it again. Some get tired of teaching and new teachers like enjambles come forward. I wonder if we are indeed seeing some dwindling of the mass interest in having bees. But it is disconcerting to see crotchety old men offering the one true religion go off in a huff. I stayed away for several months in just that way. All we can do is be kind to each other and accept the others foibles as you embrace your own.

He definitely had some value to bring to this community, but there was also a good amount of cruft that was thrown out, which definitely led to many tense exchanges. I suspect that leaving (assuming it was voluntary) was probably the best choice for him.

I certainly wish him well.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I agree Vance. I do think that a lot of the "save the bees" folks who jumped into beekeeping a few years back are not doing it any longer. I know quite a few in my area who stopped. Too hard maybe. Too expensive maybe. Sometimes it's a lack of time. All of the above probably. And I completely agree with your last sentence!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Can't say I blame him for not participating any longer. Enough is enough.
    That June thread was shameful.

I miss his input and wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Yes the forum is still staggered by the loss of Acebird.
    Until recently he could be found over at Beemaster - dunno if he's still there though. I moved forums in the opposite direction as I found it impossible to stand by without passing comment when a person who can't keep their own bees alive from one year to the next persists in recommending to newcomers that they adopt those same unsuccessful non-interventionist methods.

Indeed, there is - or was - a cohort of 'leave-alone' beekeepers over there who had a track record of losing their entire apiaries in pursuit of the Magic Bees of which you speak. And their response to a collapsed apiary was to re-stock from similar minded beekeepers ... and so the cycle simply kept repeating itself. And there's only so long a person (meaning 'me') can stand by and watch this happen, time and time again, without challenging the underlying philosophy - but such challenges, I was to find, were extremely unwelcomed.

People can do what they like with their own bees - I don't have a problem with that - it's when seriously bad advice is being given to beginners by beekeepers who are setting themselves up as experts, and yet in truth are abject failures at their craft, that I consider each one of us has a moral duty to speak out.
    /rant.

Ravenseye: I do think that a lot of the "save the bees" folks who jumped into beekeeping a few years back are not doing it any longer.
    That's the impression I'm getting too. From time to time I call in at the Bio-Bees forum, only to find that there's very little traffic there these days, compared with it's heyday. As you say, folk are probably finding that the reality of keeping bees doesn't quite match with their rosy expectations ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Here, here...

I too used to post here and Beemaster frequently but got tired of bad info going out by folks selling themselves as experts. They usually have a political bent that's anti-capitalist with a side leftist environmentalism. They try to keep their bees to fit their politics and when they fail they double down and blame other faceless entities and conspiracies for their failures. I am no expert but like many others on here I've got actual experience. I simply got sick and tired of wasting my breath nudging them to try things that I've found (the hard way) that work for me.

I decided it's best to spend my time working my 50+ hives & nucs and selling their by-products (successfully and profitably) as well as my multiple other outdoor related passions. The false prophets have been and will continue be found out in due time but I'm not wasting my precious time pointing them out. I still post here (obviously) but much less than I used to. I find I can still learn ideas from the serious beekeepers.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

DCoates: Thank you for providing the 5 frame nuc design and cut sheet that is made available on the BS "Build It" tab. I wish you had a $1 for every one that beekeepers around the world have built. You have contributed to affordable and efficient beekeeping for us all and I appreciate it. I have probably built over 100 of them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    DCoates: Thank you for providing the 5 frame nuc design and cut sheet that is made available on the BS "Build It" tab. I wish you had a $1 for every one that beekeepers around the world have built. You have contributed to affordable and efficient beekeeping for us all and I appreciate it. I have probably built over 100 of them myself.
    You're very welcome. Ironically I'm building 4 of them now. In all honesty I couldn't figure out a reasonable way to market it. Knowing that and how much I've learned from other beekeepers I decided to contribute my idea. I'd be lying if I told you I didn't feel a tinge of happiness when I see folks using them all over the place in photos and videos.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

"He became involved in kind of a nasty dust up here in June; https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...7207-Mann-Lake"

I had missed that thread back in June and wasn't aware of any online animosity created by that debate. I do not know who Tenbears is other than from his posts on here over the years. I do know this however; being confrontational with someone like Jim Lyon makes no sense at all. There a 3-4 people on here that have made a very positive impact on keeping bees via their educational and informative posts. To me Jim Lyon is at the top of the list. Quite frankly he's very humble and extremely knowledgeable. I have met Jim and he's also that way in person. For me the post in June shows that Tenbears has a very short fuse and is very defensive. I also recall a post back awhile ago regarding solar fences where Tenbears again became very argumentative and defensive. Why is it that in many cases those individuals that have the least to offer wish to speak the loudest?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

The fuse is somewhat short but perhaps walking a mile in some else's shoes would help us understand.

Tenbears post in attached thread is one that sticks in my mind.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...fore-Christmas
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

There is a lot of wisdom on this thread. I haven't posted for a long while. The last couple of years there have been "experts" crawling out of the woodwork who have been beekeeping for three years or less saying anyone who treats varroa with anything stronger than powdered sugar is a Neanderthal. They come across with so much zeal that it reminds me of Trump versus Clinton political discussions. Suddenly people who have been beekeeping for 30 years are being told they don't know what they're. It's been very frustrating recently. I'm hopeful we will all get to the point where we can disagree civilly again.
    11 yrs. 25 Hives T Zone 7a

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    "He became involved in kind of a nasty dust up here in June; https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...7207-Mann-Lake"

I had missed that thread back in June and wasn't aware of any online animosity created by that debate. I do not know who Tenbears is other than from his posts on here over the years. I do know this however; being confrontational with someone like Jim Lyon makes no sense at all. There a 3-4 people on here that have made a very positive impact on keeping bees via their educational and informative posts. To me Jim Lyon is at the top of the list. Quite frankly he's very humble and extremely knowledgeable. I have met Jim and he's also that way in person. For me the post in June shows that Tenbears has a very short fuse and is very defensive. I also recall a post back awhile ago regarding solar fences where Tenbears again became very argumentative and defensive. Why is it that in many cases those individuals that have the least to offer wish to speak the loudest?

Read his post #18 on this thread I started: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...ight=pesticide

Argumentative? Yeah, that and then some....
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I will stay out of the comments on Tenbears, but wanted to second RiskyBizz’s comments regarding Jim Lyon. Unlike RB, I have not met Jim, but he is one of the posters on this forum that I have always enjoyed reading and have a great deal of respect for.

My only other passion is college football. I have noticed on those boards that the good posters, who know what they are talking about and are often even affiliated professionally with the program being discussed, are frequently shouted down to the point that they just stop posting.

It appears to be a common phenomenon with message boards. Those that have the knowledge, don’t need the board and are not going to tolerate being abused for sharing their knowledge for very long.

There seems to be a move towards less polite behavior in all human relations. Unfortunately the nastiness is most visible in some of our public figureheads; people who should be the models for the younger generation to emulate. I have watched video of our provincial and federal governments in action and much of that behavior would have gotten you the strap and expulsion from school only a few generations ago. Now the popular media encourages it!

There may be an elephant in the room that everyone is avoiding in this thread: A quote I sometimes joke about when someone is complaining about the ills of getting old is to say that "One of the advantages of getting old is that we can get away with behavior that would get us spanked if we were a child!)

I have seen a few posts though where I felt that this effect was being abused!
    Frank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast