Granulated comb honey

Default Granulated comb honey

What is the best way to process granulated comb honey sections? Crush. Place in double boiler, then strain? 5 gallon pail crushed and placed in hot box?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Granulated comb honey

If you have fewer than 10, I'd use the double boiler. Otherwise, the 5 gallon pail. Either way, not a very pleasant job!
    Lloyd Spear

Not sure this is the best way, but I have done this with with cappings. Crush it up and put it in a warm (180) oven. If you leave it for a while the wax will melt and float to the top. You are going to loose some of the flavor from the heat, but any method is going to require heat with crystallized cut comb.

edit: put the wrong word in a sentence. Should have been put it in a warm oven. oops
    Last edited by elmer_fud; 01-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.

180 degrees is warm ??
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Or solar melter in spring.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    180 degrees is warm ??
    it is warm relative to what a oven normally runs at. If memory serves me right bees wax melts at 160ish so you need to be a bit above that. Like I said you lose some flavor but it works. It also completely separates the wax (floating on top) from the honey. I only do this with capping or crushed comb was that has been in a strainer for a while (few days) and label the jars I collect this way as such so I know it was baked.

I warm mine up also when I have a small bunch to do something with.Heat it until the wax melts and let it cool.A knife around the edges of the pot and lift the wax off.

If I wanted to make mead (I never have) I might add water and give the crushed comb a stir. I might add some yeast, and let fermentation begin, guessing that the yeast probably is able to aid solution in some way, and then strain it into my fermentation vessel after a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    What is the best way to process granulated comb honey sections? Crush. Place in double boiler, then strain? 5 gallon pail crushed and placed in hot box?
    You could feed it back to your bees.
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    You could feed it back to your bees.
    The bees would charge only a small percentage for handling! If you did it right time of year you might even get back more than you gave them
    Frank