Sauerkraut

Thread: Sauerkraut

Hybrid View

Default Sauerkraut

Chopping cabbage today and wondering if I could add carrot slices to the mix for color and I suppose taste. Or other vegetable. I don't want to make kimchee so won't be adding peppers, pepper paste and fish parts. Must be people here who know these things? Love to hear what you do.

Default Re: Sauerkraut

I have seen people ferment carrots and it works, so I would think it would work fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Chopping cabbage today and wondering if I could add carrot slices to the mix for color and I suppose taste............ Love to hear what you do.
    My parents added carrot to their sauerkraut every time.
    It was our seasonal staple food item during the cabbage harvest and I never knew sauerkraut without carrots (until later).
    Do it.

I want to say carrots were less than 5% of the overall product (visually).
    They cubed the carrots at about 1/4-1/2 inch sizes.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

With sauerkraut being a stable was pickled pig's feet also one. Oh, the end of the season searching through the gel to find the last feet was such a joy. Had a friend do a search routine skit with all the hand motions and the sounds, lordy it brought back memories and a ton of laughs.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

I have an excellent recipe for pickled pork hawks even though the Pork Hawk is considered an endangered species among city people. I started adding my oldest questionable pork chops and steaks that had gotten old in the freezer and they are so much better than that gristily foot! Now I am thinking I need to make another batch though I usually wait for the hocks and feet to go to the overage frozen meat bin before I make them.

I never was a real fan of the feet but I was the gofer that was stuck with the less pleasant jobs. Nothing like feeling around in the cold jell hunting for the remnants; the noises are also still memorable. But all the "canned" goods sitting on the shelf were so much nicer to retrieve.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Yes, the homemade kraut in my family almost always had carrots too. I was never a fan of pickled pigs feet, but my father and Grandfather's were. Heck, I remember that they always had them as well as pickled eggs in the neighborhood bar my Grandfather took me to as a boy.
    All my family has passed now but I would like to try making sauerkraut. Care to share your recipe Vance or others?