Sauerkraut - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sauerkraut

Default Re: Sauerkraut

sure you can add carrots, for color a purple cabbage would also help.

GG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    I have my equipment, recipe,and read here and watched a bunch of youtubes. I can't seem to find the answer to one question: How do I stop the fermentation AND store the kraut? I know that I can put it in the fridge to stop fermentation and it will be good there for a year. But I am making a big batch and can't possibly put the jars in the fridge. I assume once fermentation is stopped, they can be stored in a cool/dry place? So, how do I make a big batch, put them in 30 mason jars and have them keep?
    canning kills the bacteria, also softens. I also see it vacuum sealed and froze.

ever try a few caraway seeds or dill seeds or both?
    go slow they impart lots of flavor.

GG

Excuse my bravery but I want to put my cents in that conversation - summer cabbage isn't good for making sauerkraut - it not contain to many sugars for right fermentation plus temperatures too high for that purpose. Few post above I have posted a link to similar discussion (different forum) on some topic. Please check last 3 pages. Maybe it will help.

Thanks GG. Didn't think of purple cabbage. Good idea. I do use caraway seeds.
    I guess I am jumping the gun Stefan? I will check out that link. More sugars in the fall make sense. Same thing with root vegetables. Temps are not an issue in my basement. J

I read the threads you cited. Very helpful. I will need to talk to my source at the farmers market and make sure they will have enough, post frost.
    Looks like a good cite. Do you make kielbasa Stefan? Thanks again. J

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123