Sauerkraut
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauerkraut

Default Sauerkraut

Chopping cabbage today and wondering if I could add carrot slices to the mix for color and I suppose taste. Or other vegetable. I don't want to make kimchee so won't be adding peppers, pepper paste and fish parts. Must be people here who know these things? Love to hear what you do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sauerkraut

I have seen people ferment carrots and it works, so I would think it would work fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Chopping cabbage today and wondering if I could add carrot slices to the mix for color and I suppose taste............ Love to hear what you do.
    My parents added carrot to their sauerkraut every time.
    It was our seasonal staple food item during the cabbage harvest and I never knew sauerkraut without carrots (until later).
    Do it.

I want to say carrots were less than 5% of the overall product (visually).
    They cubed the carrots at about 1/4-1/2 inch sizes.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

With sauerkraut being a stable was pickled pig's feet also one. Oh, the end of the season searching through the gel to find the last feet was such a joy. Had a friend do a search routine skit with all the hand motions and the sounds, lordy it brought back memories and a ton of laughs.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

I have an excellent recipe for pickled pork hawks even though the Pork Hawk is considered an endangered species among city people. I started adding my oldest questionable pork chops and steaks that had gotten old in the freezer and they are so much better than that gristily foot! Now I am thinking I need to make another batch though I usually wait for the hocks and feet to go to the overage frozen meat bin before I make them.

I never was a real fan of the feet but I was the gofer that was stuck with the less pleasant jobs. Nothing like feeling around in the cold jell hunting for the remnants; the noises are also still memorable. But all the "canned" goods sitting on the shelf were so much nicer to retrieve.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Yes, the homemade kraut in my family almost always had carrots too. I was never a fan of pickled pigs feet, but my father and Grandfather's were. Heck, I remember that they always had them as well as pickled eggs in the neighborhood bar my Grandfather took me to as a boy.
    All my family has passed now but I would like to try making sauerkraut. Care to share your recipe Vance or others?

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Care to share your recipe Vance or others?
    There is an old sauerkraut thread in Coffee Klatch.
    ks

Pickled pigs feet

4 pigs feet, hocks, over age pork of similar proportion
    1tsp cloves
    1 1/2tsp pickling spice
    4 cups white vinegar 2TBSP kosher salt
    1 chopped onion

Cover pork with water, add 1 TBSP salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until meat starts to separate from bone. Strain broth with cheesecloth or coffee filter. Combine strained broth, spices, vinegar and onion. Simmer mixture 30 minutes. Put pork in half gallon jar. Pour broth mixture over pork, seal and let sit for five days before using.

Alternate procedure. I like to pressure can my pig parts In quart jars. If you just simmer your pork in water about a half hour, then mix the rest of salt and spice in and simmer briefly, skim and pack jars with pork, oinion, some carrot for color and pressure can. Then the jars don't require refrigeration and can be consumed over a longer time and made in larger batches

Lots of sauerkraut recipes on you tube that look like a good bet. Warning, some call for using old kraut juice to seed the culture. That can go strong tasting and nasty in a hurry. Take the time to do it the magic way from the flora in our air.

Clean five gallon bucket lined with one or two unscented large trash bags. I like some crunch and do not core the cabbage. As I grate each half head, I cover it with a tablespoon and a half, little handful of kosher salt. Add layers. 15 pounds of cabbage will fill the bucket about 2/3 full. Twist bags tightly and hand over edge. Put another trash bag on top and fill with water to weight down kraut and form an air lock. Any gas needing out will get out the twisted bags. No 02 will get in.

Set in cool dark for 3 months. Then I water bath can for 20 minutes per quart for long term storage. Good stuff. Forget it and let it sit six months and you have some fine cleaning acid. But no longer food.

Hey Vance,

I'm coming to see you this or next summer. You're only 2000 miles one way <GG>.

Every 4 months I stick my head in an see whats on Beesource and I see it hasnt changed. It must have been the sauerkraut that attracted me.

Try these:

Caraway Kraut for that German taste.

9 pounds green cabbage.
    3 TBLS Caraway seed
    1 to 1.5 TBLS of Himalayan salt per 3 pound of cabbage. Salt to taste after that
    Use a glazed, clay, 5 litre, water moat crock for most of this and then use a half gallon mason jar for the excess.

Blau Kraut
    6 pounds RED cabbage
    3 diced apples
    1 medium onion
    2 TBLS carawy
    2 TBLS Himalayan salt.
    Fits in a 5 litre crock

Minimum 3 weeks ferment at 70*F.

Carrots:
    Both carrots and cabbage are high in sugar but the fermentation process eats most of that. The problem with carrots are that they are an old, organic, gardening trick. If you have a garden spot that is high in toxicity plant carrots. They absorb toxicity out of the ground.

7 years chemical treatment free
    3 years with no manipulation treatments (Drone culling)
    1.5% average winter loss ratio
    Don't tell someone who is doing it it can't be done.

Come on up. Give me a weeks notice to dung out a spare room and we will eat stuff and drink white fluids of unknown provenance. Well not unknown to me. Thanks for the recipes

Thanks. Gonna give it a shot this spring. J

Quote Originally Posted by ToeOfDog View Post
    9 pounds green cabbage.
    3 TBLS Caraway seed
    1 to 1.5 TBLS of Himalayan salt per 3 pound of cabbage. Salt to taste after that
    Use a glazed, clay, 5 litre, water moat crock for most of this and then use a half gallon mason jar for the excess.
    I make a near-identical recipe, expect I add an equal amount of mustard and caraway seed, and add 3 cloves of garlic per kilo of cabbage. A bit more spicy and aromatic than straight caraway...great on brauts!

Thanks for the offer of a room. We'll bring our own. Added a popup to our inventory. Its hard sided so the park rangers wont get upset.

Packed a batch of new carraway recently. Such a pleasant change from the standard lemon,dill, garlic. Carraway is becoming a favorite.

Will give you plenty of notice. One doesn't make a 4,400 mile round trip without a little planning. Would you come through S.D. or N.D.?

>>>mustard and caraway seed, <<<<<

Will try a small batch with mustard.The standard around here is a garlic lemon dill so getting tired of garlic

Yes, I eat sauerkraut on my eggs

I'll have to try it on eggs. I sometimes have a bowl straight-up, along with a beer.

I grew up in ND and love it dearly but with the choice of the two I would come thru SD if you haven't seen the Black Hills and Rushmore. On my only trip South (to Prospect Tn) I came up thru Branson and Missouri, Nebraska and Wyoming. There comes a time on a trip when you just want to be home and take the shortest route. We were twenty some states in when I hit Missouri and that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by SuiGeneris View Post
    I'll have to try it on eggs.
    Here's one from meine Oma.

Buy the fattest pork roast in the store. Get "enough" white potatoes, peeled or not. Get a "few" sweet apples. Have plenty of homemade kraut. Get a cast iron Dutch oven. Add all the above in the covered Dutch oven and pop into the oven about 325*F for 4 hours. The kraut breaks down the pork, the potatoes soak up and mutes the kraut sharpness, the apples sweeten. Make sure the Dutch oven has been seasoned.

If your are in the Deep South add cornbread with fried cracklings.

We have rediscovered cast iron after learning about how toxic non stick pots and pans are. A superior form of cookware.

Vance,

The SD route looks like Googlemap's southern route. Its 32 to 33 hours one way and since towing 2,500+ pounds I won't be doing the speed limit<GG>. Figure it will take atleast a week + to get out there and atleast a week to 10 days back. Spend 2 or 3 weeks in the park.

Prospect???? You were only a 130 miles away.

Prospect Tennessee. You said you were in central alabama as opposed to LA lower alabama. Prospect is 9 miles north of the tn/al border in the center of TN. I thought you might know of the town. It is not large. Getting camping spots in Glacier is rough. The park is getting terribly over used. This summer I drove over going to the sun road with grandkids and went for over thirty miles where I could not get off the road because all pull off parking places were full! Do your research on how to acquire a camp ground reservation and how long you can hold it. Consider timing your visit after Labor day when the kids are back in school. Then it will just be full of Japanese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast