Slum Gum Oil?

Thread: Slum Gum Oil?

Default Slum Gum Oil?

I use a solar wax melter and pile up my scrapings up on burlap. The burlap does a fine job of filtering the wax, and gives me sheet of burlap that has all of the right scents to put into swarm traps. I put the sheets on top of the frames in swarm traps.

Last year I made a few sheets that had about a 1/2 inch thick of slum gum on top of the burlap. It was really too thick to use in swarm traps, so it just sat around. I anticipated that the they would just get harder over time. But I was surprised that they were separating. There was a black thick oil coming out of the cake. It stains like ink, and is as thick as honey. I scrapped it off the burlap and put it in a jar with isopropyl alcohol and it made a black liquid quick as you can blink.

First, has anyone else seen this from an old pile of slum gum?

Second, is this oil of any use in conditioning a swarm trap? Has anyone used it before? It's a great wood stain.

Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs Up Re: Slum Gum Oil?

I have observed that dark, viscous liquid. I always thought it was condensed and contaminated (read ruined) honey.

P.S. I think your idea using those burlap sheets for a swarm lure sounds interesting.

P.P.S. Your use of slum gum would fit well with the Russian Scion too.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Default Re: Slum Gum Oil?

I am sure that it must have magical medicinal properties because it comes from bees. Combine it with CBD oil,make a tincture and sell it for $200oz. I am only half joking. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    I am sure that it must have magical medicinal properties because it comes from bees. Combine it with CBD oil,make a tincture and sell it for $200oz. I am only half joking. J
    So only $100oz.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I am sorry to say that the general public does not see the benefit of "slum gum". But if it was" CBD/Honeybee Hive Extract" it will sell like hotcakes. J