Veterinary Feed Directive

Default Veterinary Feed Directive

Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) Law
    I was thumbing through Dadantís 2018 catalog and happened to notice their information on pest management under Veterinary Feed Directive. The page informs us that, and I quote ďto make things go as smoothly as possible we suggest building a relationship with your local veterinarian (if they themselves are not beekeepers) and to invite them to your apiary and show them the ins and outs of the beehive. You will then want to teach them how beekeepers can use Oxytetracycline in two ways.Ē The paragraph continues on with further dribble about ordering Tetra Bee Mix from them.

All states are now mandated to enforce the means for acquiring this drug and have placed the sole responsibility under a licensed veterinarianís purview. In addition, the laws for each state are different. As part of this Federal Directive if you wish to purchase this drug for use in your apiary you must also establish and maintain a VCPR or Veterinarian-Client Patient Relationship. Under Federal Law here is an extract from Federal Guidelines:
    For a VFD order or prescription to be lawful, the veterinarian and the beekeeper must have a valid Veterinarian-Client Patient Relationship (VCPR). A valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship according to the federal definition is one in which:
    1. A veterinarian has assumed the responsibility for making medical judgments regarding the health of (an) animal(s) and the need for medical treatment, and the client (the owner of the animal or animals or other caretaker) has agreed to follow the instructions of the veterinarian;
    2. There is sufficient knowledge of the animal(s) by the veterinarian to initiate at least a general or preliminary diagnosis of the medical condition of the animal(s); and
    3. The practicing veterinarian is readily available for follow-up in case of adverse reactions or failure of the regimen of therapy. Such a relationship can exist only when the veterinarian has recently seen and is personally acquainted with the keeping and care of the animal(s) by virtue of examination of the animal(s), and/or by medically appropriate and timely visits to the premises where the animal(s) are kept.
    In researching the requirements for my state, the base fee for this service has been established at $300-500, and my Vet has no interest whatsoever in taking a freebee tour of my bee yards (as is required) in order to write the prescription. I wonít further elaborate of the absurdity of this law as it pertains to buying Oxytetracycline. Many thanks to the folks at Dadant for their neglect of information that is actually required. Iím just wondering how many beekeepers have actually had to hassle with this directive? Naturally there are numerous ways of circumventing the required process. Perhaps I should encourage my children to go to Veterinarian school. If you want a real laugh look up the AVMA requirements pertaining to this law.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Veterinary Feed Directive

Have you tried contacting/know anyone in a local bee club? Know any commercial bee keepers?

They may be able to point you at a veterinarian that is more reasonably priced and/or easier to work with in your area.

Tetracycline for me is a dead issue as the AFB I got involved with in a purchase of old equipment was resistant to it--undoubtedly because it had been phropalacticaly fed for dozens of years as the state RECOMMENDED! The judicious use of fire and Tylosin solved the problem and It has been seven or eight years since I have seen AFB with no antibiotic used. The Tylosin which will cure full blown AFB is now unobtanium since there are NO local beekeeper vets and a small timer like me would not pay the vet bill to get it. I have been told that its shelf life in a freezer is very long and hopefully in a future time of need I will find some. Do they make it in Mexico?

We use Tetracycline for EFB, which in recent years has presented itself each spring in some colonies. Some strains have become virulent. AFB is not a concern here.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I have a mental picture of someone sitting in a waiting room with a nuc on his lap. Perhaps a way to get expedited service.
    Bill