Checking hives with a cheap endoscope
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Checking hives with a cheap endoscope

I ordered a cheap endoscope from a Chinese website and if finally came today. So I rushed right out and poked it into my hives and was relieved to find signs of life!

Of course, I made a short video of it because... that's what I do:

https://youtu.be/KfAfXJnBZ5c
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com
    Paul Montgomery -- C-I-E-I-O

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Checking hives with a cheap endoscope

very cool. J

Oh gosh, I want one of those! Are you willing to share your source?

Thanks,

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Oh gosh, I want one of those! Are you willing to share your source?

Thanks,

Nancy
    Oh yes of course. gearbest.com or more specifically, https://www.gearbest.com/microscopes...ml?wid=1433363

You will probably have to download the software for it. I have Android (Samsung). None of the apps I tried are all that great, but really I think it has more to do with the camera itself.

It took almost 3 weeks to get here. My last purchase from them took almost a month ( you can see THAT purchase here: http://openwoodshop.com/invention/grindersaw.php ).

There are better endoscopes out there, but this one was CHEAP!
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    Now that IS cheap! The one I got has a very long cable instead of a probe. Who knows though. I fully expected my purchase to be throwing money away. I was pleasantly surprised.
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Very cool Paul. Thanks for sharing.

the pleasure is mine.
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Big difference between a camera and a stethoscope.

I'm considering a decent FLIR thermal imaging camera for smart phone. Saving up my $$.
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Great links in this thread, thanks. I'm not entirely convinced about the endoscope (but I might indeed find a use for one at some point) - but seeing that chainsaw add-on YouTube video was very educational. If I hadn't seen that video, then I'd have dismissed the idea out of hand as being unworkable, if not downright dangerous. But it does indeed seem perfectly workable - within limitations, of course. I'd like to see a better method of supplying oil to the chain - but other than that - an excellent idea.

At the moment, my own adventure into angle-grinder add-ons has been limited to this:

I'm still waiting for the blade to arrive, so can't comment yet, but have already heard warnings that coarse teeth (24 TPI) can cause excessive 'grabbing', so I've ordered the finer 40 TPI option.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

this is a SUPER cool idea! Im gonna get one. There are similar gadgets on amazon and also Lizard cam looks like the same kinda deal.
    Doesnt look like the LEDS bothered the bees too much from ur video either!

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Great links in this thread, thanks. I'm not entirely convinced about the endoscope (but I might indeed find a use for one at some point)

LJ
    I got a 3 foot one that uses bluetooth to my cell phone. Got it for auto cylinder wall inspections but have used in a wall looking for a lost wire, in the engine compartment looking for a leak, in a sink to see if a ring was still in the trap............great tool to have in the toolbox.
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Great links in this thread, thanks. I'm not entirely convinced about the endoscope (but I might indeed find a use for one at some point) - but seeing that chainsaw add-on YouTube video was very educational. If I hadn't seen that video, then I'd have dismissed the idea out of hand as being unworkable, if not downright dangerous. But it does indeed seem perfectly workable - within limitations, of course. I'd like to see a better method of supplying oil to the chain - but other than that - an excellent idea.

At the moment, my own adventure into angle-grinder add-ons has been limited to this:

I'm still waiting for the blade to arrive, so can't comment yet, but have already heard warnings that coarse teeth (24 TPI) can cause excessive 'grabbing', so I've ordered the finer 40 TPI option.
    LJ
    =================

You might like to see one of my favorite people, Louis Sauzedde, with HIS take on an angle grinder saw.
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMaine View Post
    Big difference between a camera and a stethoscope.
    my bad, I got the terms mixed up

Quote Originally Posted by paulmon View Post
    You might like to see one of my favorite people, Louis Sauzedde, with HIS take on an angle grinder saw.
    I found a video showing Louis Sauzedde using a much larger version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JDUprNyYlfM The YouTube comments were fairly predictable - although the suggestion to reduce the angle-grinder's rpm seems a very sensible idea - I'll give that a try.

Interesting to see a traditional craftsman using the most modern of tools, as well as watching/listening to someone who clearly knows his craft.

Thanks Paul.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

My wife got me one of those endoscopes for Christmas. Haven't got it working very well, yet. I need to figure out how to attach it to something I can use to poke it in past the insulation on the outside of the hives.

I did take my stethoscope out to two of my hives yesterday and listen in on the bees through the upper entrance. Well, I listened in on one hive. When I went to the other one, the bees were poking their heads out the entrance saying, "Hey! What do you think you're doing?", so I put the telecover back in place and walked away! Going to be in the 40s today so I'll be heading to the other yards to check the rest of the hives. Maybe I can try the endoscope.

[QUOTE=Gumpy;1689061]My wife got me one of those endoscopes for Christmas. Haven't got it working very well, yet. I need to figure out how to attach it to something I can use to poke it in past the insulation on the outside of the hives.

I used a piece of wire similar to coat hanger wire, slightly bent it to look up, and taped the endoscope to it. My endoscope came with a sort of periscope mirror that attaches to the end of it which seems like a great idea but didn't work so well.
    OldMontgomerysFarm.com

[

I used a piece of wire similar to coat hanger wire, slightly bent it to look up, and taped the endoscope to it. My endoscope came with a sort of periscope mirror that attaches to the end of it which seems like a great idea but didn't work so well.
    Yeah, mine did, too. The angle mirror didn't work at all!

I ordered a cheap endoscope from a Chinese website and if finally came today. So I rushed right out and poked it into my hives and was relieved to find signs of life!

Of course, I made a short video of it because... that's what I do:

https://youtu.be/KfAfXJnBZ5c
    I bought one myself but overpaid for it @ 12.00. I cannot believe they sell them so cheap but work so well. I use it for checking my splits in the spring/ early summer but sometimes they go after it and cover the lens. Don't know why they cover it and have tried lemongrass oil to bribe them.
    Have fun . That's what this hobby is all about.
    Tom in California

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast