Front Range roller coaster - 2019 - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Front Range roller coaster - 2019

Mine seem to be a few weeks behind where they were last year also. I think the march cold snap offset the bees a few weeks. I have not seen any drones yet, so I have not split one of my hives like I want to. Last year I had drones and split a hive on April 8th.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Picked up and hived new packages on, Sunday, 4/21. Rain was predicted for that day, but luckily the rain came Sunday night, so the weather did not interfere with hiving the bees. However, Monday is now wet and cold, meaning the weather will interfere with releasing the queens. Tuesday will be warm and sunny, so the queens will sit an extra day in their cages.

I know many like to use a hard candy release, so the hive need not be disturbed to release the queens. But, I like to check for queen acceptance and then do a marshmellow release.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Here we go again four inches of snow forecast and locally nucs will be passed out tomorrow and packages on Tuesday! Low twenties and thirties for the high. My bees are still in their insulated wrap for a reason! The last week every day sees huge orientation classes bobbing and weaving around entrances. Supposed to warm up to sixties midweek and hopefully that is when my queens for splits arrive.

Just spent a couple hours shoveling 4” of heavy wet snow. Checked the bees yesterday and topped up sugar blocks. Supposed to be way below normal temperature for most of next week. Yikes! Still snowing hard here.
    Brian
    53N 115W El. 850m

73F, and did the first major inspection of the new packages, today. They are looking good! Here's a frame built up from just foundation and already full of brood, pollen and capped honey, err I mean sugar water, in about 2 weeks since hiving.

--shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Shinbone,

That looks gorgeous! I've got a similar one too.

Steve

Good to hear BCS. It sure is nice when everything works the way it is supposed to.

I should add that my hives that over-wintered are going gangbusters, now. I've done one split to deal with an extra large hive with a cranky queen, and the others need to be supered.
    --shinbone

My hives are booming, feels like the buildup was super explosive this year. I have pulled at least one nuc from each of them already and a few have made a super of honey already. I have too many bees and it's starting to stress me out a bit. I'm worried I won't be able to sell all these nucs in mid to late June.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhaupt2 View Post
    I have too many bees and it's starting to stress me out a bit. I'm worried I won't be able to sell all these nucs in mid to late June.
    Where in Colorado are you located? And, I think there is always a market for good nucs, anytime of the year.
    --shinbone

Shin,

I'm recovering from bad winter losses. Poor fall management. So i need a good looking frame on a 2019 frame.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    So i need a good looking frame on a 2019 frame.Steve
    Steve - I am not sure I follow . . . ?

Last edited by shinbone; 05-05-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    --shinbone

I'm up in Broomfield. I fed pollen sub early this spring, mostly because I was bored and wanted to work the bees. Lesson learned, I'm definitely fighting swarming issues already. This ornamental fruit tree bloom has been heavy this year. If any body is interested in nucs, Ill be up to my eyeballs in them in a week or two.

Shin,

I'm cleaning up and scraping D.O.s and decontaminating for Nosema by vaporizing glacial acetic acid inside a six high stacks of medium supers, double ratchet strapped together to keep my bear from tearing into them.

Thus, what I was meaning to say above was, it was a pleasure to see your good looking frame full of capped brood. I also have a couple of similar brood frames in the hive of a replacement package that I installed over a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    I'm cleaning up and scraping D.O.s and decontaminating for Nosema by vaporizing glacial acetic acid inside a six high stacks of medium supers, double ratchet strapped together to keep my bear from tearing into them.
    Uhg, that doesn't sound fun. Glacial acetic acid is serious stuff, too, working with it is not for the careless.
    --shinbone

You are correct on the CAUTION regarding the use of acetic acid.

Steve

It is snowing here. We are up to at least half an inch, and I need to go knock off the snow. It was 70's last week and lots is/has bloomed. Hopefully my split is big enough to make it thru the storm

placed graphs tonight... dark and snow/rain.... boy were they happy to see me lol
    I just can't seem to get ahead this year
    Last edited by msl; 05-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Ah I see winter has come for my tomatoes once again. I got a bad feeling about flooding this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhaupt2 View Post
    Ah I see winter has come for my tomatoes once again. I got a bad feeling about flooding this year.
    I have all of my tomatoes wrapped up so hopefully they make it. Not much that I can do about all of my fruit trees though I hope the flooding is not to bad, but there is a lot of snow in the mountains, and they are getting more tonight.

5" of snow at my house this morning. Warm-up will come by Friday. Swarm catchers be prepared for an onslaught of calls.
    --shinbone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast