Colorful painted hives - looking for some pictures
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Colorful painted hives - looking for some pictures

I am working on a special project right now and I am looking for pictures of very colorfully painted hives. I am particularly interested in designs being used as anti-drift strategies. Also I remember, from three or four years ago some descriptions of how people gave their hives a camo look. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Can you PM me if you've got pics to share - or post here? I never tire of looking at other people's beehives, and I am sure others BS members would enjoy them, too.

Thanks,

Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Colorful painted hives - looking for some pictures

IMG_3428.jpg

Apidea mating nucs

Just a few decorated hives here. The bees tend to get distracted by the flower painted over the entrance to the white single.
    biggeroninside.jpg
    happy hive.jpg

Baby nucs
    Attached Images Attached Images

Howdy, Nancy; 1st time I've accessed Beesource in months (that means that things are smooth here with The Girls; I hope yours're OK as well).

For what it's worth, I've attached a shot of my remaining hives from October; the other 3 that were small hived swarms didn't make it; SHB maggot-overwhelmed. A shame. I'm thinking that if I catch swarms in spring, I'll ensure I combine weak hives.

Enjoy!my hive stand.25SEP2018.Landen.JPG

Mitch

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Mating nucs with different design stenciled on each end

.20180605_192327.jpg
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Oh, gosh, now we're cooking! That you Rader for the old threads. Dick Allen, now that goes back a ways.

I read in the old thread that bees in pink hives collect the least honey. Hmmmm. ... I had one hive on a scale this past summer, and it happened to be Petunia, painted a pale soft pink (dau. of Peony a bright lively, medium pink.) Both Peony and Petunia did especially well this summer. Petunia had two 10-frame deeps (undrawn) added this summer which she filled. For awhile she was clocking in at nearly 300 lbs, with five deeps and medium in the stack. Peony needed three additional deep supers, and though she didn't get as porky as her daughter, I still pulled 16 mostly filled deep frames of surplus honey from her before tucking her in at 147 lbs of total hive weight. (That weight is "light" for my yard, for wintering, so I have five of her frames standing by to slot in as soon as I can in the spring. Her honey was unhelpfully arranged among her boxes, so more was taken than I expected.)

I think Petunia was helped by two factors: she was on the end of the row, and being a scale hive she towered a good 15- 18 inches over her nearest neighbor. And in my experience the tallest hive in a row almost always seems the most populated.

Rader, with your amazing talent for finding things in the back recesses of the BeeSource attic - do you remember any instructions for painting a camo-style design. I seem to remember that and I just can't find it.

Nancy

How about this ...
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...ve-traps-lures

Here is another thread on hive colors in general:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...ve-Color/page5
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

My daughter painted these nucs for me several years ago, when she was 12 and helped me in the bee yard. She is 17 now, and won't go near a hive. At least I still have these nucs to remind me of when I had a partner in the bee business.

A closing beekeeper sold dozens of these a few years back.

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I’ve always liked this pic of mating mini nucs from Z’s Bees in Orland California.

2DD3E8A3-A240-4FFB-A281-4FCC1A63ADFF.jpeg
    Last edited by Charlie B; 01-02-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

I just used left over house paint. Wasn't sure I wanted to get away from the traditional color white but I got to say it adds life to the apiary ( not the bees) just me morally. I wouldn't go back

We use Coroplast in various shapes and colors on the landing boards of the hives. It helps the bees orient and also allows me to talk to my partner to explain "Orange" did this or Green" looks good, etc. We originally put them on the deep boxes, but they work better on the landing boards so they are easy seen by everyone even when the bees have their winter coats on!

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    A closing beekeeper sold dozens of these a few years back.

I actually made off with one of Ollie’s boxes at his yard when he wasn’t looking. Too crappy to use but I keep it as a trophy!!!

78353856-4026-400B-A55E-C9A7AC5EBD93.jpg
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!

We have maintained very little drifting over the years

I can't believe you filched on of my good supers when my back was turned. I was wondering where I had put that one. I would like to point out to everyone that since Charlie is admitting to stealing from me, we also can't trust his story that he beat me at that bait swarm competition. I wasn't there, I just took what he said as truthful. For all we know he shook the swarm out of my box into his. Next he will steal that good cover shown in my picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I actually made off with one of Ollie’s boxes at his yard when he wasn’t looking. Too crappy to use but I keep it as a trophy!!!\
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast