Pro Nuc?

Thread: Pro Nuc?

Default Pro Nuc?

Anyone have any experience with this new product?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pro Nuc?

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    They are super new, just shared with the public (patent rules) 2 weeks ago, Dadant, Bluesky and Mann Lake will handle them as well as Betterbee. They will be in the new catalog in Jan and set up in the computer by then. You guy are on top of the game!

As for sweating, that not an issue, and these have a lot more ventalation, as well as guides to keep frames from banging around and hurting queens. Yes it will Be Jan before any ship out to customers, but I will have them at the ABF conference and the AHPA.

Charles
    http://bee-pros.com/proNuc.php

I have picked up several to use and see how I like them...
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

I got 1200 this spring. We got nucs in 550 of them. They are a bit top heavy and they are brittle. I hear that Charlie is reworking the plastic to make it more pliable and less brittle. Due to the top heavy nature, I havent used the intended bottle feeder fittings. I use a frame feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by mroark View Post
    I got 1200 this spring. We got nucs in 550 of them. They are a bit top heavy and they are brittle. I hear that Charlie is reworking the plastic to make it more pliable and less brittle. Due to the top heavy nature, I havent used the intended bottle feeder fittings. I use a frame feeder.
    Brittle from sun exposure or cold or the property of the new plastic?
    Besides the two issues you mention how about sweating, ventilation and the frame rests?

Here is another question - the product indicates that the one side can be used to feed with a 1 gallon feed container. Any anyone who has used to product point me to the 1 gallon container that fits best into the slot? Thank you.

My local bee supplier uses these jugs on his pro nuc boxes.
    https://glorybee.com/plastic-barrel-...xoChbAQAvD_BwE

I’ve been using the ProNuc for a couple of months now. I’m liking them. Even though they feel top heavy, they withstood 50 mph winds back in April with the feed cans on top. I was very surprised the feed cans didn’t blow off. I’m using these feed cans. https://feedcans.com/

I ordered four and one was like this upon unpacking. So until the manufacturer makes them of a more flexible plastic, I would call them worthless. The supplier did give a refund. I overwinter in five frame nucs and would think that wood makes for a more comfey winter abode.

All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    until the manufacturer makes them of a more flexible plastic
    Seems that several people are reporting this same issue. That's really too bad. I suspect that most beekeepers were expecting a MUCH more robust product. If they can't handle their first trip in a shipping box, then what are the chances they will survive a beekeeping environment.

Hopefully, the manufacturer has a plan to fix this issue.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

That looks just like the one I got.

I got 10 and they have been useful, mainly temporary nucs, to transport frames with cells between yards, and as a quiet box during inspections.
    8 years, 8 hives

I've handled a lot them this spring. (not thousands or hundreds, definitely dozens)They are a bit tippy-feeling when loading, but with a full complement of frames, they get more stable. My biggest beef is that the entrance door can sag close, the bees can still manage to get out through a somewhat diminished door, but still. The snap-on lid can mash bees, and I think the snapping contraption could be better if beefed up. It's too easy for the lid to twist enough so that it loses it's grip. Not while it's just sitting there, but in the moving and lifting that occurs when loading these boxes into cars and trucks. I like them better for bees than the Jester boxes. It makes me nuts that J-boxes collect so much condensation in the corrugations, even when stored under cover. it gushes out whenever the box is tipped up. These ne boxes don't do that. I like wood or styrofoam nuc boxes better, though. JMO.

Nancy