SW Michigan Horizontal Hives - Sans Treatments - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: SW Michigan Horizontal Hives - Sans Treatments

July apiary update:

As far as I know, currently none of my swarm traps have been occupied. There are two I haven't checked in a couple of weeks, but the others I saw were empty more recently.

I have three colonies going: one a swarm I got called about by the Lakeshore around June 13th, and the other two are swarms from the cherry orchard in May. All housed in extra-deep Layens-ish hives.

The first swarm from the cherry orchard has been going gangbusters, and I think I ought to be able to split a nucleus off of it, maybe use one of the swarm traps to house that nucleus to prime it better for next years trapping. Planning to leave my traps up until sometime in August just in case.
    - Nick - SW Michigan, Zone 6b (Lake Effect, ya know?). Extra Deep Horizontal Hives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nickhefferan View Post
    ... maybe use one of the swarm traps to house that nucleus to prime it better for next years trapping....
    +1
    That's what I would do.
    This season I continue putting the nucs into the worst primed trap hives around - you know, to get them really well seasoned.
    Too bad, I can not do the same easily with my log hive traps - so they are kind of loosing some of the "seasoning" - no swarms yet into the log traps this summer.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

July apiary update:
    Nick:

Glad to hear you are off and running and here's hoping that the second-half of the season continues to be a success for you.

Like you I had no success with new swarm trapping equipment this season. So (like GregV already noted), for my part I think your idea to get your swarm traps 'primed' is a sound idea.

Good luck the rest of the year.

Russ

July apiary update:

As far as I know, currently none of my swarm traps have been occupied. There are two I haven't checked in a couple of weeks, but the others I saw were empty more recently.

I have three colonies going: one a swarm I got called about by the Lakeshore around June 13th, and the other two are swarms from the cherry orchard in May. All housed in extra-deep Layens-ish hives.

The first swarm from the cherry orchard has been going gangbusters, and I think I ought to be able to split a nucleus off of it, maybe use one of the swarm traps to house that nucleus to prime it better for next years trapping. Planning to leave my traps up until sometime in August just in case.
    Surprised you havent had more activity. My dad usually has 3-4 traps around for entertainment. He did have a little swarm move into one this past weekend just before he took them down for year. But it ended up queenless.

July apiary update:

Nick, I did end up catching 4 swarms, and am in the process of picking up the decoys. Not sure it will help this year, But what I did was to take the hives I wanted to split, Pull the queen with 2 frames of bees into a NUC. then 4 days later split the rest up based on how many quality queen cells could be utilized. All the splits went into new NUC wooden ware. The old hive and propolized bottom and lid was used for a swarm trap. As in, it had bees in the day before I put it out. Now the NUCs are 2 story and I am pulling in the 10 Frame "Decoys" and putting the NUCs in with the comb from the decoys as expansion. NUC boxes go on the shelf till Spring. So a used 10 frame deep was what most of my decoys were. Also used dead outs for comb and propolized boxes. So in the spring take your survivors and put them into the traps or new wooden ware and use the "lived in" boxes for the decoys, in early Aug or late July, you can put every thing back for winter if the traps are not a wintering type box. So Rather than build traps I just build some extra deeps. Also use them for frame storage when not needed. This year I also used one for a super as I did not have one at the moment I needed it. For me Traps have only 1 function, Deeps have several. Do what works best for you however.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds View Post
    Surprised you havent had more activity. My dad usually has 3-4 traps around for entertainment. He did have a little swarm move into one this past weekend just before he took them down for year. But it ended up queenless.
    queen less swarm , a good place to put a newspaper on and then a queen rite NUC, Agree Traps or decoys are good entertainment. Oddly this year 3 of the 4 swarms had Virgin Queens, Must be my Neighbors are clipping the queens wings now. I guess I get a young queen then not the old one. not sure if I am happy or sad about that. Took 5 or 6 days to see any eggs. The one old Queen which was actually mine had eggs the next day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    .. For me Traps have only 1 function, Deeps have several. .. GG
    Since Nick develops his Layen's style system, he can not have "deeps".
    But multi-function 6-7 frame, plywood hives (about 50 liters) are a good way to go - swarm collection/trapping/nucs/mobility needs/storage/work-table/tool-box/etc - all using the same, exact box.
    Pretty sure Nick does the multi-function traps.
    Just about now I am out of these multi-use hives (all 10 boxes are used up) and I feel kind of fragile if something comes alone (say, I get a swarm call - got no mobile equipment to put it in).
    Need to swap a couple out ASAP and have a box handy again for any possible need.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    multi-function 6-7 frame, plywood hives (about 50 liters)
    Pretty happy I invested some work into my multi-function hive fleet - these are indispensable during the warm season.
    20161127_132538.jpg

Since Nick develops his Layen's style system, he can not have "deeps".
    But multi-function 6-7 frame, plywood hives (about 50 liters) are a good way to go - swarm collection/trapping/nucs/mobility needs/storage/work-table/tool-box/etc - all using the same, exact box.
    Pretty sure Nick does the multi-function traps.
    Just about now I am out of these multi-use hives (all 10 boxes are used up) and I feel kind of fragile if something comes alone (say, I get a swarm call - got no mobile equipment to put it in).
    Need to swap a couple out ASAP and have a box handy again for any possible need.
    Yup, my swarm boxes are basically small beehives, just narrow and tall. Frames the size of two Langstroth Mediums on turned on end.

I do still need to check the two traps closer to the river, but I'm trying not to be too optimistic.
    Was a bummer that the scouts that were checking out that one trap earlier this season didn't decide to move in, but since there was activity I think I'll be hanging a trap there again next spring.
    - Nick - SW Michigan, Zone 6b (Lake Effect, ya know?). Extra Deep Horizontal Hives.

Trap update: Success!

The trap that had been scouted before, has been occupied as of 7-15-19. Lots of traffic to and from, as well as pollen being brought in.
    Going to leave it hanging for a week or so before bringing it home, I think the benefits of leaving it out there for a couple of weeks outweigh the benefits of moving it home right now.
    I have some hive prep I need to do before I can move it to a different box, and where the colony is now they likely have less competition for forage.
    I think I'll hang another trap up in its place when I do take it down though, just in case there are further swarms in the area.

This trap is located near a nature preserve in state forest land, it's about as far from any residence/cultivated fields I could get while still being near-ish my house.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup, my swarm boxes are basically small beehives, just narrow and tall. Frames the size of two Langstroth Mediums on turned on end.

I do still need to check the two traps closer to the river, but I'm trying not to be too optimistic.
    Was a bummer that the scouts that were checking out that one trap earlier this season didn't decide to move in, but since there was activity I think I'll be hanging a trap there again next spring.
    So we are talking terminology. By deeps I am referring to something I can do splits into, keep bees in, have in the yard with bees in etc. End state 1 deep is not big enough and neither is a "layens trap" So make the traps be small hives, conceptually we are on the same page. I understand the Layens system, and stay with my advice to make something that can be a 4 or 6 frame layens "hive" as well a trap. a trap only, has less use.

Congrats Nick on the one you caught. per Greg's advice. when you recover it, Move the bees into a "new" one and hang the "primed" one back up.

Trap update: Success!......
    Congrats, Man!

Like I said, the traps require no gas or electricity - leave em hanging - be ready for surprises.
    The latest swarm I dragged down was on August 25th some years back now - they wintered through just fine (I fed, of course) - these were my first bees since I re-started this "bee-game" again - I used that late August swarm as the sole resource-hive to build my entire current "empire".

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    ....... a trap only, has less use.

Congrats Nick on the one you caught. per Greg's advice. when you recover it, Move the bees into a "new" one and hang the "primed" one back up.
    All agreed - single-use types of equipment are often more liability than assets (talking a small-scale beek).
    Multi-use, flex equipment (e.g. single Lang deep/6-frame Layens mobile hive/similar pieces..) - are to your advantage in many ways.

I used that late August swarm as the sole resource-hive to build my entire current "empire".
    GregV:

I like the 'empire building' word picture- sounds very dark and nefarious .

Nick:

Congratulations on the swarm- you now have everything you need to build your 'empire'.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234