Passage 'holes' in a top bar?

Default Passage 'holes' in a top bar?

Is anyone using 'passage holes' in the bars of your top bar hive? If you are, do you find them effective in distributing heat in winter and, allowing the colony to travel through to food stores?Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 2.19.43 PM.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Passage 'holes' in a top bar?

Quote Originally Posted by ihor View Post
    Is anyone using 'passage holes' in the bars of your top bar hive? If you are, do you find them effective in distributing heat in winter and, allowing the colony to travel through to food stores?Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 2.19.43 PM.jpg
    I got few points on this.

1)How do you measure the degree of "effectiveness in distributing heat in winter"?
    I don't know so I could measure the "heat distribution" in my hives.
    Until then, I can not really share.

2)Instead of drilling the holes in TB, I would instead make the TBs with a vertical support bar (OR even two vertical support bars).
    Bees will normally create their own passages along these as they see fit.
    You also get a benefit of additional comb support with those mid-comb supports.
    Like here:
    SmallCell-TBH-Mod.jpg

3)I have done similar things (see the artificial passages I made up, on the pic attached)
    But in general the bees take care of their own needs per what I observe (when foundation-less and have vertical attachment surfaces).

The real issue is (this is a general issue of Langs/Dadants and classic TBs) - there is lots of horizontal attachment surface but not enough vertical attachment surface (or NONE at all - I am looking at you - TBH).
    The vertical comb attachment surfaces where the bees naturally create the passages (either in the tree hollow OR in the frame if given the opportunities).
    Of course, all those artificial foundations get in a way (plastic, obviously, is the worst)

Observe and notice how ALL of the natural passage ways are made up along the vertical comb attachments.
    NONE of the passages are made along the horizontal comb attachment (of course - this will compromise the comb strength).
    So you should now see how the passage ways really made and really work - along the vertical surfaces.

20180517_201046_Mod.jpg
    StrappedFramesVertical_Small_Mod.jpg
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

1) Anecdotally
    2) 3) Clever thinking! You’ve made me think beyond how humans look to find solutions, and made me ask how does the colony behave and how can I help them with their thinking and problem solving.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ihor View Post
    1) Anecdotally
    2) 3) Clever thinking! You’ve made me think beyond how humans look to find solutions, and made me ask how does the colony behave and how can I help them with their thinking and problem solving.

Thank you.
    Exactly.

You give them most natural environment possible ... and observe.
    Pretty soon you see the real problems and the real solutions.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.