BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sedgwick Co. KS
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Quote Originally Posted by GregV

    "The most expensive coffee in the world harvested from animal poop.
    Just for a reference: http://www.most-expensive.coffee/ "


    I'm sure the aroma while perking has everyone checking the bottom of their shoes.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Too Funny Tim, LOL I guess the classic statement, comes to mind . a NUC is worth what ever someone will pay for it. So a little marketing and the only one selling the Layens size NUCs all have influence on the price. I guess he may think you all are selling your NUCs to Cheap. Talk up the fact your queen did not need to stop laying to go into a cage, and you have brood, in the NUC, where a package has a 3 week delay to have bees hatch. Keep raising prices till you have some left over, that means you are zeroing in on what the market will bear. then next year they are overwintered NUCs and raise the price some more. I think this local NUC sale could be a big market if played correct. Package is 150 ish so that should be the floor IMO so 150-250 window would be a good guess at where most of the sales land.
    GG

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland,Auckland,New Zealand
    Posts
    10,038

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Good observation Grey Goose. I remember back a few years when small cell was the thing, nucs on small cell comb were being sold for a lot more than other nucs. Now, less demand for them.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Good observation Grey Goose. I remember back a few years when small cell was the thing, nucs on small cell comb were being sold for a lot more than other nucs. Now, less demand for them.
    I see several posts on "how do i get my NUC from Deep to Medium", and "I am shifting to Medium" today If I were to do NUCs I would do a 6 frame Medium NUC, with a "Never cadged" Queen laying for 4 weeks. One could sell in 2 weeks but a 2 week delay could allow you to make it with 5 frames and let it grow by 1 on its own, and I am not so in need of the funds, that 2 weeks matter for cash flow reasons. 1/2 medium with a laying queen for $175. that is $350 (a medium box for bees combs and 2 new queens). I would offer to drive them over install then into your hive for 20$ and a burger "called the expert installation service". Install them right, 1 last look at the queen, get my NUC box back, most Newbies would bite for 20 getting it done right. If you could build 4 a week for 10 weeks, 7000$$ summer part time job.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Boaz, KY, USA
    Posts
    1,165

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I would offer to drive them over install then into your hive for 20$ and a burger "called the expert installation service".
    Gray Goose:

    Enjoyed your post. While I am not in the market for nucs at present, I can speak from a novitiate's perspective that I think a $20 delivery and installation charge would be a bargain, especially if it came with a side order of some advice and 'what to look for' through the season.

    Your business model seems sound to me, particularly with new-ish beekeepers who have enough experience to see that installing packages is a risky proposition, and are looking for the opportunity to have a whole season of success.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Gray Goose:

    Enjoyed your post. While I am not in the market for nucs at present, I can speak from a novitiate's perspective that I think a $20 delivery and installation charge would be a bargain, especially if it came with a side order of some advice and 'what to look for' through the season.

    Your business model seems sound to me, particularly with new-ish beekeepers who have enough experience to see that installing packages is a risky proposition, and are looking for the opportunity to have a whole season of success.
    Thanks, Litsinger
    I was somewhat tonge and cheek. I helped a newbe one time with a package, I guess we were all there at one time , but they really did not know how to handle the queen cadge and get the bees out etc. Now you can go watch 1 or 2 YouTubes and have a good idea. Right ,, if you hive the NUC "well" it is worth it and you can show them a bit of the important stuff. Would work better for local customers. Again if the local drone pool is going to benefit then I know how many and where they are, surround my Apiary with my own genetics.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Boaz, KY, USA
    Posts
    1,165

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I was somewhat tonge and cheek.
    Thanks, GG. I assumed as much, but wanted to comment that I can definitely see this type of service being value-added and 2nd and 3rd year beekeepers would readily appreciate the value of such an approach and would thus be glad to pay for it.

    I can certainly appreciate how a 'rising tide lifts all boats' such that it is in our best interests to support and encourage local genetics with our neighbor beekeepers.

    Enjoying reading your thoughts- they are helpful to us rookies.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Clinton, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    442

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    I see several posts on "how do i get my NUC from Deep to Medium", and "I am shifting to Medium" today If I were to do NUCs I would do a 6 frame Medium NUC, with a "Never cadged" Queen laying for 4 weeks. One could sell in 2 weeks but a 2 week delay could allow you to make it with 5 frames and let it grow by 1 on its own, and I am not so in need of the funds, that 2 weeks matter for cash flow reasons. 1/2 medium with a laying queen for $175. that is $350 (a medium box for bees combs and 2 new queens). I would offer to drive them over install then into your hive for 20$ and a burger "called the expert installation service". Install them right, 1 last look at the queen, get my NUC box back, most Newbies would bite for 20 getting it done right. If you could build 4 a week for 10 weeks, 7000$$ summer part time job.
    Most folks will be happy for you to install. In fact many nuc suppliers I know only make them right into customers box so that customers dont have to transfer etc.

    However, not sure how many medium nucs you can really sell for much over $150. Obviously there is demand as i have a number of people specifically ask me for them which is usually doable as I run many colonies as a story and half. But there is also no shortage of small hobbyists constantly advertising along with some bigger folks all selling overwintered nucs in the spring. And by time we reach June, the prices for newly mated nucs tend to be much closer to $100.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlackBirds View Post
    Most folks will be happy for you to install. In fact many nuc suppliers I know only make them right into customers box so that customers dont have to transfer etc.

    However, not sure how many medium nucs you can really sell for much over $150. Obviously there is demand as i have a number of people specifically ask me for them which is usually doable as I run many colonies as a story and half. But there is also no shortage of small hobbyists constantly advertising along with some bigger folks all selling overwintered nucs in the spring. And by time we reach June, the prices for newly mated nucs tend to be much closer to $100.
    If summer NUCs can be had for 100$ then the local population is well served. If the bees survive the winter driving down the costs in the spring of the next year then the genetics or local "habits" of the beekeepers is also good. Sounds like all good news in Clinton. So is there a "list" of NUC sellers I may call some up for the 100$ June NUC especially if the parent is an overwintered Queen from the area. Would rather do that then order packages in the spring. maybe PM me if you know of a couple good sources.

    GG

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    53,774

    Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

    >Now, less demand for them.

    Not in my experience.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •