BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: BEE COLONIES - 100% WILD SURVIVOR STOCK

I just read that article about the Civet cat poop coffee. I never would have thought such a thing existed. Thanks.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I am drilling large holes in all my trees and moving my bees in and then pulling them out with the same claim but I only want $550. I got 2800 that will be ready tomorrow if you want to come get them and help me pull the nails out of the frames that I used to hold them in the tree. I guarantee you they are bees and they have survived a bunch of stuff. 100% wild as hell when I was nailing them in.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    The bee pricing high and I would not buy such packaging as overpriced.
    I would consider a better packaged product, like I said - the bee material itself is worthy I think.
    The "value-added" wooden ware - not so much to me.

But no need to start kicking the "chocolate" honey now.

To be sure, I am totally on board with - "the brood chamber honey comb".
    That's what I harvest.
    We eat the "chocolate honey". Yep.

As well I harvest aged perga from the brood combs - for food.
    Of course, I also do my own sourdough starter and bake my own bread with it.
    Ferment my own kefir too.
    These are all nasty looking, nasty smelling, fermented foods to most.
    Fine with me.

The most expensive coffee in the world harvested from animal poop.
    Just for a reference:
    http://www.most-expensive.coffee/
    Not kicking chocolate honey at all. I have harvested brood comb honey as well and it is fine. I just was pointing out the marketing that it was like fine wine or "chocolate" and worth extra money, especially saying the bee poop makes it better, when he is probably just getting rid of old comb. Hey, if you can sell it, why not?

And again, just because it passes through the gut of a Civet, does not make it better. People associate higher cost with better. I used to live in Colombia, so fresh coffee is the key.

If I were to buy TF bees, I would want to know not that they were wild caught, but that they had lived untreated in a domestic hive for some period of years, probably 3 minimum, and that they had performed well during that time. If such were available here i would happily pay big bucks for them.

But then, I would want an isolated mating yard and a breeding program in place, or my investment would likely be soon lost.

With his chocolate honey and $50 wax, the guy obviously has a flair for marketing, that will appeal at least to a small enough portion of the population to get him the sales he needs. But the claims made for the bees are that they are wild caught and TF. That does not guarantee either that they will make you any honey, or that they will continue to thrive TF in the beekeepers hive.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

OK, so we all agree that if you eat anything out of your own chemical-free garden, orchard, or a beehive - you will eat some poop, like it or not. Don't like eating poop - then eat pills. That is the probably only poop-free thing there is.

That aside, buying $600 bees will not guaranty anything.
    For my locality this would be a huge gamble.
    Too much money to gamble away.
    I can only gamble because me bees are free.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

yep... $600 SHM, Just goes to show just how bad the cult of mystical ferals have gotten.

The most expensive coffee in the world harvested from animal poop.
    Just for a reference:
    http://www.most-expensive.coffee/
    EWWWWW!
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

Well, I rinse my fruit and vegetables before eating. I realize that eating a little residual poop is one thing, but eating or drinking it on purpose and paying an exorbitant price for the experience is quite another.

I don't want to eat bee larva poop or cut up larva or mites or their poop either, from what I suspect are brood combs from dead-outs. But that's just me.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    I don't want to eat bee larva poop or cut up larva or mites or their poop either, from what I suspect are brood combs from dead-outs. But that's just me.

Alex
    Bees do excellent job cleaning out post-larva cells before they get re-used for anything.
    Honey/perga do not get dumped right on top of the larva poop, obviously.
    Bees are not that stupid.
    Good enough for me.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post

I don't want to eat bee larva poop ............

Alex
    Obviously, bees are doing excellent job cleaning the post-larva cells for reuse, be it for more brood, honey, or perga.
    Bees do not like eating larva poop in their own food either and are excellent house-keepers.

I am not really sure where is that idea comes of the bees eating their own poop.
    They don't.
    Hence, let us not worry of bee poop on brood chamber honey of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by herbhome View Post
    EWWWWW!
    Of course, we all know that coffee beans are really well washed after the poop-treatment so it is not like pieces of poop are mixed with the beans.

OK, for the complete record, read this too, while on the subject.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...elephants-no-2

I am not really sure where is that idea comes of the bees eating their own poop.
    They don't.
    I didn't say anything about bees eating their own poop. I said I don't want to eat it.

The idea comes from the wesiteb where he freely admits, in writing, that the comb may contain larval poop.

Whether a brood comb comes from a dead-out or an active hive doesn't matter, when it gets cut for sale who is going to clean at that point before it is packaged? Who is going to clean the cross contamination from the knife blade? Hence, my statement, "I don't want to eat it."

Packaging laws for honey are fairly lax as of now, but how long will that last if sellers keep pushing the envelope on basic hygiene?

Of course, it is none of my business what you or others eat as long as they are informed about what they are buying.

This is, however, only my opinion and I am sticking to it. Let us agree to disagree.

Alex

Ahudd harvesting brood comb honey is fairly common- single deep, all meadum, unlimited brood nest, KTBH, and warre management comes to mind.
    as does people getting honey from dead outs....
    Trying to eat cut comb filled with cocoons... that's another matter, took a bite of 2 year old comb brood comb once (was too green to know why not to), never again.

one must rember we are eating evaporated bug vomit

Of course, we all know that coffee beans are really well washed after the poop-treatment so it is not like pieces of poop are mixed with the beans.
    I agree people have been eating things that are not particularly palatable to me for a long time. I think they did it out of necessity or convenience. I could see how someone suffering under a caste system with no access to land or money might make it a habit to gather beans from such a lovely pile.

Purchasing such things at exorbitant prices, be it coffee beans or brood comb honey, is a marketing method targeting ones desire to elevate their social status using economic means.

I know a lot of people who eat roasted pumpkin or persimmon seeds, but they don't gather raccoon scat to get them, because they don't have to.

In the book, "Citizen Hughes", Howard Hughes was said to be vehemently opposed to waste water treatment. He said it was the same as being served a steak with a turd on the plate. The turd wasn't necessarily touching the steak, but merely the idea was repulsive.

There may come a day when I have to eat brood comb honey with larva in it, but not today.

Again, JMHO.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    Ahudd harvesting brood comb honey is fairly common- single deep, all meadum, unlimited brood nest, KTBH, and warre management comes to mind.
    as does people getting honey from dead outs....
    Trying to eat cut comb filled with cocoons... that's another matter, took a bite of 2 year old comb brood comb once (was too green to know why not to), never again.

one must rember we are eating evaporated bug vomit
    I agree. My point is the statement made,"May contain larval poop". If I am going to sell brood comb honey, I am going to make sure it doesn't contain larval poop. Is it a violation of food safety to have larval poop in honey?

Maybe I'm way off base here, but these things just get under my skin. It smacks of new age mysticism that all things within a bee hive are a cure for practically everything. I'll stop now.

Alex

what is the 1st thing a bee does when it emerges?

OK, guys, I think we got this "poop talk" sufficiently squared away.....

Back to the subject.

What would be a fair price for a proven TF/feral bee nuc?
    Let us call it a standard 5-frame deep Lang nuc for sale (for compatibility reasons).

What M. Bush's bees could be sold, for example?
    Or the SPs' TF/feral bees?

PS: let us ignore for a moment the management issues of this purchased TF bee nuc (really, a buyer's problem; not the seller's).

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    what is the 1st thing a bee does when it emerges?
    It cleans its own cell.

Alex

Greg, I'll take a bite. In my area, a spring nuc fetches around $165. An over wintered nuc delivered in early spring will get around $210. An overwintered, proven, TF nuc in my opinion ought to sell in the $280-$300 range, in a cardboard nuc box. Dr. Sharashkin's nucs seem a little overpriced even in a nice Layens hive box. Thing is, I am sure he will be turning customers away after selling out. So using the simple supply and demand economics curve he is fairly priced. Yikes! What is the world coming to?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Greg, I'll take a bite. In my area, a spring nuc fetches around $165. An over wintered nuc delivered in early spring will get around $210. An overwintered, proven, TF nuc in my opinion ought to sell in the $280-$300 range, in a cardboard nuc box. Dr. Sharashkin's nucs seem a little overpriced even in a nice Layens hive box. Thing is, I am sure he will be turning customers away after selling out. So using the simple supply and demand economics curve he is fairly priced. Yikes! What is the world coming to?
    This sounds about fair.

Our local nuc pricing for "regular, local" bees was - $250 for the overwintered; $160 for the summer nucs.
    So the good TF material could fetch extra $100-200 maybe (making it $350-450 for the overwintered nucs)?

Hmm. Donno. We do not have such product locally for a good precedent (not yet).
    Of course, as I hope to be on the selling side one day, the more the merrier for me!

PS:
    selling those TF bees locally is NOT that risky, btw, as they maybe just plugging back into the same local feral population - hence will probably stay afloat TF as presumed;
    he does sell them locally pretty much - "Pickup from our apiary in Drury, MO 65638"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast