Kelly end of year sale

Default Kelly end of year sale

I just got my first order of hive bodies from Kelly today. I placed my last order with ML and was not overly impressed with the fit. The Kelly boxes are nice and tight and come with nails and metal frame rests. Their select grade 10-frame deep bodies are on sale now for $13.68 per box when ordered in lots of 5 and shipping is free over $99. Beats the heck out of what I was paying BM. Now if they would just put the mediums on sale too...

Am noticing that the Kelly boxes are 19-13/16" long, so a tad shorther than standard. Otherwise, very nice.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 12-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Kelly end of year sale

I have never had a problem with Mann Lake boxes . I just put 250 together couldn’t be happier. Kelley was bought out by Mann Lake and rumor has it that all of Kelley Woodenware will now be Mann Lake after they sell out hence the low prices..
    Last edited by HONEYGUY1973; 12-24-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Corection

I got spoiled by the BM boxes which all had tight finger joints. The ML boxes were sloppy by comparison and needed clamps to assemble tightly. The Kelly boxes were tight and did not require the clamps. The ML boxes are not bad, just not as good. All are better than I can make. I can't imagine putting together 250. I do around five at a time at my kitchen table!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

On sale at 13.68/box?
    They could keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    On sale at 13.68/box?
    They could keep them.
    Exactly the reason Mann Lake owns them now. It will be a cold day in the beehive I give over 10 a box

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYGUY1973 View Post
    Exactly the reason Mann Lake owns them now. It will be a cold day in the beehive I give over 10 a box
    Where can you buy deeps for $10 ?

i bought Deeps from mann lake for 8.95 each for 36+ mill run boxes when they ran them on sale. i have had a couple in the pile that i have had to trim up the finger joints but for the most part they have been a very good deal.

Foul! You can't compare ML's mill run seconds to select boxes. Even ML's bee blast sale has their commercial grade boxes at over $14 right now. You have to buy in bulk to get them any cheaper. What about those of us still at the (serious) hobby level? I only needed 20 deeps and 20 mediums. (Still need the supers.)

I had a small commercial beek on craigslist locally trying to sell me used deeps for $10. Told him no thanks. But I may take him up on the $8 supers.

I am in my first year and went with mill run boxes after building all my stuff from sawmill lumber i planed down and milled. I am painting them with 9$ oops paint so i dont care if there is a knot here or there. The bees dont care if the box is knot free. I caught 3 swarms along with the 2 purchased nuc's last year. I ran out of equipment and I dont plan on that happening again. Building them out as either deeps or palmer style double nucs. I sawed 12 of those deeps down and made 4 frame supers for the double nucs. I will build lids and bottoms but mill run boxes are perfectly fine. I plan to buy another batch of mill run boxes next year as well.

Oops paint is good as long as it's exterior latex, tight knots are fine, but mill run seconds will not last as long as the better grade.
    Palmer might consider ripping down the deeps to the size he needs and using whats left over by combining the pieces vertically.
    Last edited by Gino45; 12-26-2018 at 11:46 AM.