Anyone near Homosassa Fl?

Default Anyone near Homosassa Fl?

Hi all. I am going to be near Homosassa, Fl in February and wondering if any members are nearby and would welcome a short visit. When traveling, I like to stop at roadside stands and chat up fellow beekeepers so I thought why not see if anyone here is close. Not looking to take up your day, just buy some honey and chat for a bit. I know short chats can turn into long ones between beekeepers, but I will be with a non bee friend so promise it will be short! J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Anyone near Homosassa Fl?

Anyone?

I can't help you with beekeeping stuff. But, are you planning on going to see the manatee's?

Tom

Yes Tom. Saw them last time I was there and plan on seeing them again. Amazing creatures. J

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Hi all. I am going to be near Homosassa, Fl in February and wondering if any members are nearby and would welcome a short visit. When traveling, I like to stop at roadside stands and chat up fellow beekeepers so I thought why not see if anyone here is close. Not looking to take up your day, just buy some honey and chat for a bit. I know short chats can turn into long ones between beekeepers, but I will be with a non bee friend so promise it will be short! J
    I am a long way from Homosassa, but depending on your dates and free time, the Florida state fair is from Feb 7-18 in Tampa and will have a honey booth staffed with volunteer beekeepers. I am taking 2 shifts during the fair and am greatly looking forward to meeting and talking to other beekeepers at the booth. Looks like you will be near the Dadant store in High Springs, and also the bee lab in Gainsville. The lab is on my bucket list for someday.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Thanks for the suggestions bevy. I am at the mercy of my hosts so don't want to impose too much with a lot of driving. I did stop at a stand last time I was there but nobody was around. I will see if I can catch them this time. J

I am back from Florida and thought you all might get a chuckle out of my efforts to find a fellow beekeeper to visit with. I googled looking for honey/apiaries and found one close by with a beautiful website. I set the GPS and my buddy drove me there. Much to our surprise, we wound up at a pest control company. We checked the address and yes, it was correct. We drove around the block and in back of their building, there was an apiary. Needless to say, I did not go back to buy some honey. J

J, could be those were bees they saved when a homeowner called for extermination. I just drove up 301 from I-75 to Jacksonville 2 weeks ago on my way back to VA. Since I was a passenger, I kept looking for local honey or signs of an apiary. Nada. Some nice areas that looked like they should have bees though.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I thought the same thing JW. Probably how they got in the honey business. However, pretty bad way to sell your product, especially with 55 gal drums of who knows what on the property.
    I only found one roadside stand (and they were not the beekeepers) selling oranges and honey. I assume that most of the small guys haven't had a harvest yet and were sold out of last seasons stock. Not much was blooming, but started seeing some flowers after it rained. Didn't see a single honeybee, but plenty of yellow jackets. Looked like a halfway decent area for forage. J

Sorry i missed the original post, My sister company is in Dade City, FL

Queen Kathleen
    38950 River Road
    Dade City FL 33525

her shop sits on the front acreage of our bee headquarters.

Probably would not have been a nice time to visit though, we were doing almond prep which leads to thousands of hives in a small vicinity. They get quite aggressive when you have that many on only a few acres.

Aaron

Maybe some other time Astro. J