Sanitizing the boxes and drawn frames

Default Sanitizing the boxes and drawn frames

Hi all,

I had couple of dead out nucs as of now. It is caused by Nosema A. Or Nosema C. I send the dead bees to lab in baltimore and they verified that the bees are infact infected with Nosema. Wondering what are my options to sanitize the boxes and drawn frames. I am saving the combs to be used for next fall. But like to know the options to sanitize and kill the Nosema spores.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sanitizing the boxes and drawn frames

Acetic acid is supposed to sanitize. I think just winter cold is enough, its all I have ever done.

Thanks @Vance G. I am in Zone 7. The lowest it come to is probably in the range of 10 to 15 F. Will that be enough to kill the spores. Thanks

If you don't have extended periods of freezing weather you might be able to cycle frames through a freezer since you don't have that many to work with.

Note: The above study has important implications to beekeepers. What is tells you is that in most of the U.S., winter freezing should be enough to kill most of the spores of N. ceranae! This supports the observation of a number of commercial beekeepers that letting deadout equipment “rest” for a month at cold temperatures resulted in better colonies when restocked in the spring.
    http://scientificbeekeeping.com/nose...about-nothing/
    To everything there is a season....

Thanks every one. I will keep it in the yard after cleaning the dead bees. After the winter is over will follow the ascetic acid way or the freezing method. Thanks again for the inputs.