How’s everyone’s bees look this winter? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How’s everyone’s bees look this winter?

Jim, did you send any samples away for viral testing? Or any pollen away for Chem analysis ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I came to the conclusion years ago that the two primary criteria that determine winter cluster strength are a strong fall flow and timely and effective mite treatments.
    Agreed. I've seen big winter losses here in New England because of late season drought. With an average mite load in August, and little brood rearing, those mites invade that bit of brood and end of story. We had this a few years ago. Massive losses in NH and MA. I fed my bees early enough, and with the Goldenrod pollen flow...they went to brood rearing and wintered well.

Marcin wrote:

Hi Roland,
    when you say "location is the problem" are you referring to just bad location in terms of forage, or that there is too many bees in the area to support healthy hives?

None of the above. Seeing as Ian has "outed" me, yes, I suspect pesticide, including herbicides. We see sudden "bad things", that can not be easily explained by slow acting mites or viruses. On several occasions we where lucky and acidentaly moved a hive in right after the event. It is the only hive alive two weeks later.

Crazy Roland
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I suspect pesticide, including herbicides. "
    Hi Roland! Did you send a bunch of bees to the lab to check your suspicions?

Suspect pesticides,
    We have labs to confirm poisoning.
    Perhaps there are more issues at play which are compounding the problem

Sure I did , for 396 Dollars American. A pile of nice fresh bees, sent on dry ice.(The hives where 6 deeps of bees, making 150lbs each, gone in 10 days) They found nothing, but in another sample, of comb, they did find coumophos at a level higher than could explained by contaminated foundation.(We NEVER used coumophos). Call me crazy, but 792 dollars to get suspicious data in not a good investment.

Crazy Roland

Sure I did , for 396 Dollars American. A pile of nice fresh bees, sent on dry ice.(The hives where 6 deeps of bees, making 150lbs each, gone in 10 days) They found nothing, but in another sample, of comb, they did find coumophos at a level higher than could explained by contaminated foundation.(We NEVER used coumophos). Call me crazy, but 792 dollars to get suspicious data in not a good investment.

Crazy Roland
    I hear that, it's how testing goes sometimes though... you do get to rule out some things at least though.... maybe. We do it in the plant business too, multiple tests done, lots of money spent to tell you plants are disease free or at least don't have the disease you were testing for and you then get to scratch your head some more and wonder what do they really have then.....

Crazy Roland
    “Coumaphos is an insecticide used for control of a wide variety of livestock insects, including cattle grubs, screw-worms, lice, scabies, flies, and ticks. It is used against ectoparasites, which are insects that live on the outside of host animals such as sheep, goats, horses, pigs, and poultry. It is added to cattle and poultry feed to control the development of fly larvae that breed in manure.” http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...aphos-ext.html

Is Coumaphos poisoning to bees from protein feed or dip from neighboring operations a thing? If the problem was Coumaphos, would the bees themselves be expected to have tested positive?
    David. Cheerful beekeeping

I did too
    Found Amitraz and a wee bit of neonc

Took a semi load to almond field yesterday. All rain next week there meanwhile sunny where I took them from(washington). Good thing I left the covers on all the pallets.
    Last edited by R055; 01-11-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Here, the bees overwintered much better than last year. Then, we had super early eucalyptus bloom begin in Dec. Euc bloom really picked up in Jan. and now it has kick started all colonies. Queens laying like crazy, fresh, bright white comb, massive foraging. This hasn't happened here in the last three years and it may be due to good rain.

All colonies not near a blooming euc forest were still asleep/hibernation with little to no activity. Within two days of trucking them to the eucs, they take off vertical with radical difference. Now we are wishing we had taken all colonies to the euc forests last month...

Planning on taking all colonies to local almond orchards first week of Feb.

Virginia seems to be having good winter bee health so far (after a rough 2017-2018 winter), with strange spring and summer weather featuring hotter and wetter than usual, a half-harvest, but a good fall flow.
    8 years, 8 hives

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12