Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Bastrop County, TX USA
    Posts
    304

    Default Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    I have put swarm traps out in Central Texas in past years, with no success. Now I wonder if I just put them out too late? The weather here will probably still have some nights (and days?) below freezing, with others up in the 60's-70's. There will probably be some heavy rain, but no snow.

    Is there any harm in putting them out too early? If I decide to do so what, if any, precautions should I take? I plan on renewing the lures and making sure they are safe from physical harm, but otherwise will probably just let them sit.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,723

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    There is no reason to put them out unless you won't be able to when swarming season arrives. They will just get weathered or infested with pests. If there are no swarms out none will move in. HERE, we have an oddball earliest swarm around 2/15, but it really only starts after 3/1 peaking in the middle of April. So I put mine out after 3/1 and bring them in in June.
    Remember my famous qoute: A small swarm will fit into a large swarm trap, but a large swarm will not fit into a small swarm trap.


  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,723

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    And remember one of my famous words of advice:
    More swarm lure is not better. Swarms will come but not move in.


  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,723

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    AND!.....your best trap is your standard size brood chamber (deep frames, not mediums). Use boxes that can serve other purposes.


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ka'u Hawaii
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    Frank, do you have an opinion as to the source of the swarms you are trapping? IOW, are they from other beekeepers or from the wild?

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,723

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    Frank, do you have an opinion as to the source of the swarms you are trapping? IOW, are they from other beekeepers or from the wild?
    Probably many more from wild colonies than beekeepers. There are only hobby beekeepers in my area and their density compared to the population is not very many. I do however catch some that appear similar to the package bees the local club buys. This swarm was caught nearby a few fellow big time hobbiests. That is the best location for your traps. Don't tell them however. Bait swarms prefer big combs. These are 11 1/4" deep Jumbo frames.


  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    Marant,

    It pays to put them out early. I landed this one early in the spring next to Odfrank’s and Tanksbees hives back in 2016.

    B63108C1-E277-4E11-ACD8-096A3AA23B7B.jpg
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Charlie.....in a few months it will be THREE years you are repeating that story to Beesource. Don't you have anything new in three years to start repeating for the next three year? I might have to recommend to your wife to send you in for an "onset of dementia" doctor consultation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Marant,
    It pays to put them out early. I landed this one early in the spring next to Odfrank’s and Tanksbees hives back in 2016.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]44999[/ATTACH]
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,136

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Charlie.....in a few months it will be THREE years you are repeating that story to Beesource. Don't you have anything new in three years to start repeating for the next three year? I might have to recommend to your wife to send you in for an "onset of dementia" doctor consultation.
    Ok, ok Ollie, you’re right. How about this story:

    In the spring of 2018, Ollie and I had a mono a mono swarm trap competition at my cabin in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The area is a total honeybee desert because we wanted it to be challenging. He used his goofy jumbo nuc he always brags about an I used an 8 frame deep. Well, I think you can guess what happened.

    024F68B4-5DFF-46DD-876A-0CF811FF83BD.jpg
    My opinions are based on a decade of beekeeping, book learning and watching YouTube videos.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Well you have bored us all with that new bragging now on several different threads, so it is old news after nine months also. But since it's all you got we will have to suffer with you repeating it until you conclude you have made a new magnificent accomplishment. Oh I forget....your thread about how much you are selling fennel honey for. Repeat that a few more times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Charlie.....in a few months it will be THREE years you are repeating that story to Beesource. Don't you have anything new in three years to start repeating for the next three year? I might have to recommend to your wife to send you in for an "onset of dementia" doctor consultation.
    Ok, ok Ollie, you’re right. How about this story:

    In the spring of 2018, Ollie and I had a mono a mono swarm trap competition at my cabin in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The area is a total honeybee desert because we wanted it to be challenging. He used his goofy jumbo nuc he always brags about an I used an 8 frame deep. Well, I think you can guess what happened.

    024F68B4-5DFF-46DD-876A-0CF811FF83BD.jpg
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lockhart, Texas
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Is it too early to put swarm traps out in Central Texas? What would be the harm?

    It's still too early for swarms, but... I am going to get my first swarm of the year tomorrow @7am. I'd guess it's really an abscond, but a basketball of bees is still a basketball of bees! And to make it more fun, it's at a recycling center!

    And I did my first cutout on Saturday (it was 70F!). So the year is off and running.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •