Beeswax "saran wrap" alternative

Default Beeswax "saran wrap" alternative

I have a few kilos of cleaned beeswax and am not really sure what to do with it (it was an unexpected 'bonus' this year). My wife has found a number of instructions on how to make a beeswax-infused cotton cloths that you use in place of saran wrap. I like the idea of anything that reduces waste around the home, and it seems like a fun activity to do with my son over the xmas break...but I had a couple of questions about these that I couldn't find in any of the tutorials I read. I figured someone here must have made these in the past, and could offer some advice:

1. Do these things really work - i.e. seal reasonably well to metal, glass or plastic containers and keep food fresh in the fridge?
    2. How do you clean them if they get soiled?
    3. How many times can they be used or cleaned before needing re-waxing or replacement?

Thanks

Bryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beeswax "saran wrap" alternative

>Do these things really work - i.e. seal reasonably well to metal, glass or plastic containers and keep food fresh in the fridge?

Pretty well.

>How do you clean them if they get soiled?

I rinse in cool (not hot) water.

>How many times can they be used or cleaned before needing re-waxing or replacement?

The wax doesn't go anywhere... I would assume a very long time...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Default Re: Beeswax "saran wrap" alternative

Thanks - looks like I've got a small project for over the xmas break!