First Year Keeper in Central Oregon

Smile First Year Keeper in Central Oregon

Hi there! I'm Adrienne. I am a first year beekeeper located in the high desert of Central Oregon.

This year I participated in the Oregon Master Beekeeping Program and became a Certified Apprentice. I am now working on my Journeyman Certification, which will, at the very least, take two more years. I am really enjoying the program and it's totally been worth the cost, which is certainly cheap!

Finances could only afford me one hive this year, I know, I know, it's *better* to have two. Whattaya gonna do? I needed a hive and colony because I was accepted into the Oregon Master Beekeeping program. Haha. Anyway, if all goes well this winter, I will expand with another Nuc this spring from a somewhat local keeper. I am super excited. I hope maybe I will split my current hive or find a swarm this year.

So far so good with my colony Goldenrod, they were slow to build up and I was really worried. My mentor said that they looked good and should last the winter *fingers crossed!*. They had a high mite drop after treating with Apiguard in September. Did a OAV treatment on Saturday, Dec. 8th. We're having a warm spell here this December with temps over 40 degrees and some above freezing nights. So I am thinking I will add some mountain camp (I think that's what it's called) style sugar feeding soon.

Anyway, I could go on and on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First Year Keeper in Central Oregon

Welcome! Good luck with your endeavors. One doesn’t have to rely on nucs or packages to increase your hive counts. Setting out swarm boxes in the spring is a fun thing to do ( I call it swarm fishing) and sometimes worth the work.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rwlaw View Post
    Welcome! Good luck with your endeavors. One doesn’t have to rely on nucs or packages to increase your hive counts. Setting out swarm boxes in the spring is a fun thing to do ( I call it swarm fishing) and sometimes worth the work.
    Thank you!

From what I've witnessed, swarms really aren't that prevalent around this area. So it's probably better that I don't expect it to happen. It is possible that I will be able to do a split with my current hive to expand. If it survives this winter, that is.

With me being in the master beekeeping program, it is required for me to have bees. So relying on a swarm could be problematic. I do hope that I can get one! I should have enough equipment to house three colonies.

Getting a nuc in the spring ensures I will at least have some bees! Haha.

Welcome to the community!

Hey Adrienne,
    I'm in the Master Beekeeper program too, been at the journey level for a while. The guided studies is what probably takes the most time. I'm in Gresham had 6 hive that did well and then the mites just skyrocketed regardless of the treatments. Now I'm down to 3. One advantage you guys have in Central Oregon is you don't have the moisture like we do here.
    Lets hope its a good winter for all of us and we come through spring with bees ready to capture nectar!
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Walls View Post
    Hey Adrienne,
    I'm in the Master Beekeeper program too, been at the journey level for a while. The guided studies is what probably takes the most time. I'm in Gresham had 6 hive that did well and then the mites just skyrocketed regardless of the treatments. Now I'm down to 3. One advantage you guys have in Central Oregon is you don't have the moisture like we do here.
    Lets hope its a good winter for all of us and we come through spring with bees ready to capture nectar!
    Eric
    Hi Eric! Glad to see another Oregonian on here! I have downloaded them but haven't been focused enough to begin. Haha. I also JUST ordered the Dewey Caron book they recommended, so I am waiting on that too.

Yes, I have lived in Gresham before. Hahah It is a LOT wetter over there! I hope my bees survive! They felt pretty heavy when I tipped them, but, I don't have much tipping experience yet. Haha. One day I will get it.

Also, I messaged you here about OMB.

Thanks for commenting! Glad to bring more people into my beekeeping circle.
    Adrienne | Central Oregon | Zone 5ish | ~10" Rain | 1st Year

Quote Originally Posted by denbert19 View Post
    Welcome to the community!
    Thanks denbert19!

Welcome!
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Welcome to Bee Source and best of luck with your bees.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Thank you Tennessee's Bees LLC and GaryG74! I am looking forward to spring!

If they make winter on the old queen they are going to start making swarm cells (that’s what bees do).
    Figure out how many hives you want and drop the swarm cells and a frame of brood into a nuc box. Do that until you have as many as you want. As long as you have bees you do not to buy bees. When you have enough move the queen to the nuc and let the last QC in the hive.
    Welcome to BS, Central is a pretty vague description you should be more specific (so I can figure out if I can get a deer tag, fly-fishing access or chucker ground). LOL
    I am down in Boring, if you took the highway bypass over the mountain you may have seen my honey sign (Miel) in summer.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    If they make winter on the old queen they are going to start making swarm cells (that’s what bees do).
    Figure out how many hives you want and drop the swarm cells and a frame of brood into a nuc box. Do that until you have as many as you want. As long as you have bees you do not to buy bees. When you have enough move the queen to the nuc and let the last QC in the hive.
    Welcome to BS, Central is a pretty vague description you should be more specific (so I can figure out if I can get a deer tag, fly-fishing access or chucker ground). LOL
    I am down in Boring, if you took the highway bypass over the mountain you may have seen my honey sign (Miel) in summer.
    If it weren't necessary to order before knowing whether or not the bees will survive (like needing to make orders in early Jan for the bees I'd like to purchase locally), then I wouldn't buy bees. But since I am in the Master Beekeeping Program, it is required for me to have bees - I'd rather not take the risk of not having them (dying in say, late Feb-April), since I have only one hive.

Central Oregon refers to the areas around Bend, like, Madras down through LaPine, out toward Mitchell. It's a big area, but all decently similar climates. Haha. I am closer to Madras than any other town. There's no rivers by me, haha. A creek... There's one of the reservoirs... And I have only seen a deer (on a game cam) ONCE on my property in over 2 years here. I have barely seen any quail on my property let alone chuckars! Hahah. I don't know much about chuckars tho.

I lived in Rhody and went to Sandy high, so it is possible that I have seen your sign, but it doesn't come to mind. Love knowing that there's more Oregonians on this site, thanks for commenting!

Ask your mentor if he would be willing to set you up with 2 frames of mixed brood if your hive fails. Come time you purchase a new queen and dump it on the bees. We used to be able to get queens from Rhul or brushy here with a weeks notice.
    I do it for my inlaws, they bring over a box when they get their queens and we put some frames of bees in them. works pretty good and you do not have to order 6 months in advance.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)