VM Mini

Thread: VM Mini

Default VM Mini

Now that its actually been out a couple months, anyone have a review?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: VM Mini

My question is has anyone even seen one?

I did 160 with mine but my back hurt from bending over, so finished with the big VM. Works ok ,will just keep it for a backup or doing small yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIUD...z3TXydx3UAs3LA

Are you Clark Kent aka Superman? You have got to have lungs of steel with that much OA vapor around you and not even a small cough!!! I am glad you showed it in that video because I would never buy a contraption like that and for that exorbitant price.I wouldnt use that thing if it was even give to me.That thing make me want to pay more for my ProVap 110.I have seen the big one in use and its real good for someone with a lot of hives.A wand is real good for someone with a few hives.But the Mini there is for someone wanting to get themselves hurt!!!

Do you need to clean it? Why does the vapor come out the main tube instead of the entry tube? Are there holes at the bottom of the entry tube?

The video is from the manufacturer demonstrating his device. I would never consider firing up one of these high volume devices without proper protective gear. I dont see any of these vaporizers as particularly dangerous except in the hands of a moron.

Fair enough. But you do have one that you used at least 160 times. What does the oa fall into? Why doe it not just flow out the top instead of down the tube? Do you use normal oa or a pelletized form?
    Anthony

You could get an Eay Vap for about the price of a good wand treat in 20 to 30 seconds a hive and keep all the vapor in the hive in a measured amount, what more can you ask for.
    Johno

Thanks Loggermike, I appreciate the information.

I dont know what I can add, the video covers it all. The oxalic acid (any commonly used oxalic acid dihydrate) is dumped in the tube with a turky baster . I guess one could weigh each dose if one were that anal about it.
    Truth is dosing isn't critical. If its coming out the lid its done. Maybe 10 seconds. Some torch adjustment experimenting is needed to get it right. One must be careful not to get the acid up in the fan.

Its also needs me kind of spring loaded butterfly valve to keep the OAV from coming back down the tube at you through the fan.Think about how the butterfly valve works in a small lawnmower carburetor.I know thats a choke in it but if you force your air to it it would open and allow air to go through it.When the volume of air stop then the spring closes it and no OAV would be coming back through the tube at you.

I can see that working but i I would try it if the following failed since it has more moving parts. If I were to make one, I would maybe try something like the sb600 with a pot. I would try placing a cone inside the rear of the tube with the narrow point pointing towards the vapor exit side. That way if I tilted it enough to spill out of the pot back towards the fan it would get trapped between the cone and the tube.

If you keep it level you wont have to worry about the oa going into the fan just got done doing 300 today never had the oa go into the fan

Thats good that you did 300 without the OA coming back into the fan but what happens when something does go wrong and your engulfed in OA vapors when that one little butterfly valve could of prevented it.Thats also one reason to wear your protective mask.Also sure would be nice if it had a battery pack so you could have a small electric blower instead of a hand turn fan.The concept of his vaporized is good but needs tweaking!!!

Butterfly valves are usually balanced on either side of a spindle, and so require some means of opening/closing. I suppose you could use one unbalanced, opening against the tension of a light spring ?
    A passive reed valve would be better (imo) - as used in the intake of high performance two-stroke engines, and of course were used in the ram-jet engines of the WWII V1 'flying bombs'.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Thumbs Up Re: VM Mini

Quote Originally Posted by liljake83 View Post
    If you keep it level you wont have to worry about the oa going into the fan just got done doing 300 today never had the oa go into the fan
    Just went out and did a couple hundred more. It didnt seem to bother my back as much . I felt a little more comfortable using it too. No problem with any acid getting in the fan. Starting to like the thing!

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    Just went out and did a couple hundred more. It didnt seem to bother my back as much . I felt a little more comfortable using it too. No problem with any acid getting in the fan. Starting to like the thing!
    Right on. I think it'll be on my list this spring.