Treatment-Free Bungling 2018 - ? - Page 67
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 1,321 to 1,333 of 1333

Default Re: Treatment-Free Bungling 2018 - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunajavelho View Post
    little john, what I meant was that for example the Italian bee and the Carniolan bee was not able to enter northern Europe before man brought it there.
    Sure - but the word 'rescue' implied (to me) that you were suggesting that those bees were somehow in trouble and that we humans were doing them a big favour by extending their breeding area - whereas history shows us that those bees which became isolated due to geological or geographical barriers did ok with the area and population they had. So ok in fact that they evolved characteristics which we humans later considered to be superior (for our purposes) than what we had with AMM - that being the motivation for importing those bees to replace AMM.

The reality is that we have never done the honeybee any favours: throughout history humans have always exploited the honeybee for their own ends. Until sugar-cane plantations and sugar-beet farming usurped honey as the principle source of dietary 'sweetness', the honeybee was a vitally important creature - it still is, but now more so for it's role as a pollinator than for it's honey producing abilities. And yet so many beekeepers are still employing an out-dated paradigm - in breeding bees with the aim of producing the maximum honey harvest - when this is no longer strictly necessary for human survival.

We could very easily ease-up on maximising honey yields and focus instead upon survivability - which is where, arguably, the ambitions of BIBBA make a whole lot of sense (to me). I don't happen to share their ambitions - as the genie has been let out of the bottle for far too long - but I fully understand the thinking behind their views.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yesterday's high of approximately 63 degrees F presented a great opportunity to observe the bees.

All the colonies were bringing in a bit of dirty yellow pollen, and #1905 was particularly busy.

I happened to catch #1910 in a decent orientation exercise around 4:00 p.m. local time- this colony has been the least active all winter thus far.

It is way too early, but I went ahead and set-out and primed four swarm traps just because the weather was so pleasant.

We have only our second round of nighttime lows in the teens thus far this winter in the forecast so this will likely be the next big test.

20200115_161113.jpg 20200115_161340.jpg 20200115_160812.jpg 20200115_162117.jpg 20200116_114206.jpg
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Russ
    I chatted with some guys who say they have bees working maples and there are some dandelions.

My only real swarmy year was one that got warm early and so I had swarms about two weeks from dandelion start. That was april 13 here that one year. I usually like to bait up my traps first of march if we get warm enough cause then I know it is done.

This may be a weird year and maybe you are not as early as you think but either way, you are ready.

Cool on the hive you had to give a boost (or was that hive 1909), goes to show how all hives don't do the same or stay static and each year can be different. Last year my oldest unsplit hive gave me the most per hive honey compared to the rest and it did not do that in the years before.

I hope your swarm catching stresses your ability to keep enough equipment on hand. Than you will be walking in tall cotton.
    Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Cool on the hive you had to give a boost (or was that hive 1909), goes to show how all hives don't do the same or stay static and each year can be different.
    Thank you, GWW. You always have an encouraging word, and I appreciate that about you.

This past Spring I had to give #1804 a boost (based on good advice from you all) and they seem to be doing just fine this winter, thus far.

I did put some sugar atop #1905 late in the Fall for fear that they would run out of food- this is the colony that continues to out-forage all others, making me wonder if they are trying to brood their way out of trouble... and likely starve out in the process. We'll see.

I hope your swarm catching stresses your ability to keep enough equipment on hand.
    I appreciate your well-wishes and I heartily extend the same to you. How is everything going in your yard this Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Yesterday's high of approximately 63 degrees F presented a great opportunity to observe the bees.

All the colonies were bringing in a bit of dirty yellow pollen, and #1905 was particularly busy.

I happened to catch #1910 in a decent orientation exercise around 4:00 p.m. local time- this colony has been the least active all winter thus far.

It is way too early, but I went ahead and set-out and primed four swarm traps just because the weather was so pleasant.

We have only our second round of nighttime lows in the teens thus far this winter in the forecast so this will likely be the next big test.

20200115_161113.jpg 20200115_161340.jpg 20200115_160812.jpg 20200115_162117.jpg 20200116_114206.jpg
    Hey, cool.
    I see your Warre hive is alive and well.
    Did the dry sugar help? Is it being used?
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

russ
    How is everything going in your yard this Winter?
    Like you, I have some that do not hang out at the entrance like others do. So far, If I put my ear to them and flick the hive with my finger, I get a small hum from all of them.
    I guess my memory is going and thank you for the refresh info on your helped hives.
    Time will tell come spring.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Did the dry sugar help? Is it being used?
    Thanks for the feedback, GregV. Hive #1905 is indeed alive thus far. I am not certain whether they are actually using the sugar yet, but they do take great pains to haul it out every time we have a little flying weather.

As you noted in another post, the MC feeding is helpful for no other reason than a diagnostic tool to quickly evaluate and ascertain if they seem to be in need.

I appreciate all your help and advice.

Russ

Like you, I have some that do not hang out at the entrance like others do. So far, If I put my ear to them and flick the hive with my finger, I get a small hum from all of them.
    GWW:

Why am I not surprised that you are batting 1.000 again this Winter... well done.

Have you noticed your colonies acting different this Winter versus previous winters due to not providing supplemental Fall feed this year?

Russ
    This year has been different in that we have had more days, so far, that the bees can actually leave the hive. I have not had the bees searching me personally seeing if I might be good to eat but have had the bees hit the chicken feed much earlier then I ever remember.

I do not see big traffic at the hives even when they are out except I did once catch a few in orientation or potty flights. My smallest hive box wise (two box instead of three) has bees filling the hole at the reduced entrance where my bigger hives seem to have only a few bees crawling around the entrance or none but some slow coming and going. It makes me wonder on the ones with no bees hanging down at the entrance but the hum when tapped makes me feel a bit better.

If they do not run out of food, I would think that maybe the hives would fare a little better with honey then fast fed sugar due to probably spreading a little pollen in with the honey compared to the sugar water and fast filling that happens with fast feeding. I have seen their pollen bags full and I assume that it is chicken food they are carrying.

I am not overly confident that they will all live and so worry about the ones with the least amount of bees hanging out at the entrance but also take consolation in the fact that all the big hives have fewer bees at entrance compared to the small one. So some of the difference could just be how fast the volume heats up during sun light with big taking longer. I really need to spend the six bucks it would take to buy a cheap stethoscope but then think that I can not change things at this point and so why do it. I have a vague feeling that I may have thought the hives were louder in previous time and don't know what to take from that. It could be that they were louder when eating more meaning that maybe whether was better this year but I don't know that.

Since I know so little what really means what, I just cross my fingers. So far so good. It is fun to think about and I try and gather what I see and try and remember hoping to learn from it but do not feel confident in the observations or memorys and especially my attributing cause and effect.

We are heading towards our coldest temps of the year this weekend.

I told a guy about two hundred miles away from me that he could have the queen and a split off of my oldest never split hive this spring if he wants to drive here and do the work. He says he does and so I hope they are still alive come then.

He is into grafting and expanding like crazy and is a treater. He has much more ambition then I do. If it happens, maybe I will learn something while he is here.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, GregV. Hive #1905 is indeed alive thus far. I am not certain whether they are actually using the sugar yet, but they do take great pains to haul it out every time we have a little flying weather.

As you noted in another post, the MC feeding is helpful for no other reason than a diagnostic tool to quickly evaluate and ascertain if they seem to be in need.

I appreciate all your help and advice.

Russ
    Russ, Try Spray the MC pile with a little water to make it less granular and more of a block. if the grains are stuck together they will not haul out as much. I pour a pile of sugar into a cake pan add some water mix with a fork, let dry overnight and lay the block on the excluder or top bars. Seems to last better and still adsorb moisture and not get hauled out. Hauled out may mean Ant problems in the spring. Hopefully the rain will dilute it enough to avoid the issue.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Russ, Try Spray the MC pile with a little water to make it less granular and more of a block.
    when providing sugar as emergency feed i'll mix in just enough water to turn it into a thick paste. this prevents the hauling out of crystals and probably makes it easier for the bees to consume.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

I start the MC pile with damp paper towel as the MC base - so that immediately cakes in sugar from the bottom up.
    Moisten the dry sugar as you apply it.
    I use water sprayer and do it well directly in place.
    All in all, properly done MC sugar should become solid crusty mass and unmovable by the bees (discount for few crystals).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

yes, should have added sugar paste is placed on newspaper and in that consistency can be pressed into patty form...
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667