Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

concrete thickness and psi for a honey house

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Riskybizz 
#1 ·
plz help me with the recommended concrete thickness and psi for a honey house

thanks

#2 ·
A 4" slab of standard 3,000 psi concrete thickened at load-bearing walls (or with concrete piers for columns / posts) should be sufficient. Of course, a thicker slab may be needed where a heavy piece of equipment or heavy stored items are located. Be sure the soil where you plan to pour the slab is properly compacted before pouring concrete.

Is a building permit required in your area? If so, you will need to specify things like concrete slab thickness and minimum strength before getting a permit.

#5 ·
Yes, if you are planning on forklifts or trucks being driven on it, 6" with plenty of rebar is what you want. Do concrete right or you will always regret it.

#7 ·
Psi is not as critical, 3000 should be fine unless you are point loading something heavy on a very small footprint. Proper compacted base, so the slab is evenly supported, rebar and wire to spread the load, and proper thickness especially if using the edges as footings are the most important. Good finishing to consolidate the surface is also important, and don't rush to use it until it can cure. 75% strength in 7 days, most at 28 days, unless you pay more for high early strength mix.

#9 ·
This post reminds me of what my old boss used to say many years ago when I worked construction.."ya know there are two kinds of concrete...concrete that's cracked, and concrete that's gonna crack".. get a compaction test as the soil prep is very important. Even on all sand like in Florida..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.