Cannabis (Marijuana) Infused Honey And Other Uses Of Cannabis With Hive Products

Default Cannabis (Marijuana) Infused Honey And Other Uses Of Cannabis With Hive Products

As everyone knows, marijuana is now legal in many states and I think it presents an economic and personal opportunity for beekeepers. There are many products being made with cannabis and beeswax. They are probably using propolis too. People are making cannabis infused honey, honey edibles as well as lotions with beeswax. Many feel that cannabis has health benefits and of course many people like to use it to get a buzz. Like drinking a glass of mead. I should also point out that not all cannabis products get you "high", and there are ways to make products to reduce THC (the psychotropic part of marijuana) so you don't get high.
    I am wondering if any members are making products with cannabis or thinking about it. I would like to generate a discussion and share ideas and recipes.
    And yes, its ok with the moderators. J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cannabis (Marijuana) Infused Honey And Other Uses Of Cannabis With Hive Products

I don't know that it would work very well. THC and other cannabinoids are not water soluble, and thus would be very difficult to dissolve into honey (which is water-based; e.g. hydrophillic)

Default Re: Cannabis (Marijuana) Infused Honey And Other Uses Of Cannabis With Hive Products

True, THC is not water soluble so you wouldn't be able to just add cannabis to honey. You would first make a base product such as cannabutter and add honey to that. Cannabutter can be made with butter or other fatty oils such as coconut oil which THC binds to.
    As for lotions, the same is probably true, but perhaps THC, or CBD binds to wax? Any idea Sui?

It would be easy to use lecithin or other common edible emulsifiers to blend the oil products with water soluble honey. I had a customer come looking for nice white bees wax which he would be using to make a THC and CBD pain rub. No emuldifiers needed in that combination.

There is growing interest of older folks in marijuana products but most of them are not interested in smoking it.
    Frank

Frank, you are correct. I see recipes with lecithin used as an emulsifier. For those that don't know CBD is a component of cannabis that doesn't get you high, but is believed to have beneficial properties such as pain relief as Frank noted. Hemp and Marijuana both have CBD, but hemp is low in THC so is often used for making an oil out of CBD. In order to get high off of marijuana, it has to be heated (such as when you smoke it). So marijuana can also be used without getting high by not heating it. Generally people heat up marijuana at a low temp in the oven to "activate" the THC before using it in an edible product. The heating process is know as decarboxylation. Just some things I have learned so far. J