Oxalic acid
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Oxalic acid

  1. #1

    Default Oxalic acid

    Okay guys I am wondering what is the difference between oxalic acid used for mite treatment and oxalic acid used for wood bleaching Mann lake sells the one for wood bleaching but is it the same for mite treatment

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    2,762

    Default Re: Oxalic acid

    No difference. The wood bleach is not labeled and registered for use as a pesticide, but it is the same chemical. Many cost conscious beekeepers use wood bleach. I purchase my oxalic acid from Florida Labs. My hives are very white inside from all the "bleaching" they get.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  4. #3

    Default

    Here in Kentucky it is illegal to use the stuff labeled as wood bleach

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gainesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Re: Oxalic acid

    If it works it works and if it's safe it's safe. Many beekeepers were using it long before they had a legal product and it worked dandy.
    Kamon Reynolds https://youtu.be/RX-JxsOvb80 Swarm Control

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: Oxalic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by John Combs View Post
    Here in Kentucky it is illegal to use the stuff labeled as wood bleach
    Politicians make laws. Politicians are subjected to lobbying by groups with vested financial interests. Some politicians can even be bribed. 'Nuff said.

    Some laws are sensible, but some are not - and do not enjoy "consent of the people". It often occurs that laws have to be changed to comply with the changing demands of society. In Britain, suicide used to be illegal, as did homosexuality. Smoking cannabis is currently still illegal over here - but, like Canada, I suspect that this will change - just as soon as the government can figure out the best way of extracting the maximum revenue from this lucrative crop.
    /cynical mode

    As JWP comments - there's nothing illegal about cleaning woodwork ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Algoma District Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,408

    Default Re: Oxalic acid

    Just make sure the wood bleach you buy is labeled oxalic acid. There have been wood bleaches that have other chemicals as active ingredients that would not be safe for the bees.
    Frank

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    306

    Default

    If you have a container of OA labeled for pesticide use, think refill.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    1,930

    Default Re: Oxalic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post
    If you have a container of OA labeled for pesticide use, think refill.
    exactly.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ozark, AL
    Posts
    778

    Default Re: Oxalic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by John Combs View Post
    Here in Kentucky it is illegal to use the stuff labeled as wood bleach
    Like most places there are outdated and useless laws. Just a few more from Kentucky: Any person who appears on any highway, or upon the street of any city that has no police protection, when clothed only in ordinary bathing garb, shall be fined no less than five dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars.

    All nude people in your house must be registered.

    It's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

    One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

    Every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year.

    Some times the right thing to do might not be on the book as legal.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    1,930

    Default Re: Oxalic acid

    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhwg View Post
    Like most places there are outdated and useless laws. Just a few more from Kentucky: Any person who appears on any highway, or upon the street of any city that has no police protection, when clothed only in ordinary bathing garb, shall be fined no less than five dollars nor more than twenty-five dollars.

    All nude people in your house must be registered.

    It's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

    One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

    Every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year.

    Some times the right thing to do might not be on the book as legal.
    I would be in big trouble if I lived in Kentucky. I violate most of those laws on nearly a daily basis. Although I haven't sold a single duckling died blue in a long time (so 1980's)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •