Another bee store closing Bee Built

Default Another bee store closing Bee Built

I don't know if anyone uses them but Bee Built is closing their doors end of the month. They are more geared towards the smaller hobbyist I'm guessing do to their prices. But I have langstroth, top bar and warre hives from them. They are very well built hives, look nice in a backyard. I have been very pleased with them. Free shipping over $75. Very nice people, great small company. I didn't mind paying more for my backyard hives due to the look and build. Hate to see the small companies go and the market just go to the big run of the mill type stores. Their products are 20-25% off if anyone is looking for some nice hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Another bee store closing Bee Built

Maybe a wave of consolidation coming the the bee supply market? Or, bees are no longer the trendy and cool thing now that the "it" people tried them and found out it is much harder than 1. buy bees & supplies 2. harvest honey 3. profit and the marketplace is drying up?

Steve in PA I was wondering about that. With the flow hive acting like beekeeping is as simple as keeping a gold fish (they are capitalizing on that market/trend) people not doing any research about mites, swarms, diseases and the such and then all the youtube people (yes there is some very informative people on youtube) just showing how easy it is to have bees I think alot jumped on board of "save the bees" maybe the trend is heading downward. Beekeeping is definitely not for everyone. It gets hot (at least in my area) hives are heavy, mites suck and honey is sticky and messy. Plus the expense I dont think most consider. Time will tell I guess

looks like quality stuff, but holy cow 17 dollars for a cardboard nuc? that place is crazy expensive.

I'm pretty sure this is the same people who used to be the company called Bee Thinking that went out of business a couple of years ago. The workers tried to make a go of it as Bee Built. I think some people just don't have that kind of money to spend on a single bee hive. I have multiple topbar hives, but they were only $150 per kit, not $350.

Ruthiesbees do you build your TBHs or you buy them from someone? I really enjoy my TBH but like you said $350 ouch. But I can't seem to find anyone with prices around $150. The cheapest I found was from kelly I believe at $200 probably have to pay shipping. Most I have seen are between $250 to $900. I am wanting another one I probably should build it I read they are fairly cheap to make.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the same people who used to be the company called Bee Thinking that went out of business a couple of years ago.
    I agree that this is the reconstituted Bee Thinking. Note that the owner of Bee Built is identified as "Ed". I am betting that is the same Ed Shearer that played a role in Bee Thinking's demise. And here is the earlier related thread:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...uild-com/page5

As a side note, I have an interest in CNC machining, and I see that the "fingers" on the boxes that Bee Built offers ...
    BeeBuilt Screenshot from 2018-12-06 09-12-08.jpg photo credit

... have rounded edges that are the kind of cut that are well suited for a CNC* router to cut.

*CNC router is a computer controlled router that in this case is cutting wood with a rounded bit somewhat like a heavy duty drill bit moving around while embedded in board. Very easy to make changes in the cut pattern on the machine just by running a different cutting program, but cutting a box panel is likely slower than a traditional dedicated box cutting machine (which would cut 'square' edged fingers AKA box joint).

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-06-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I dunno, seems like a glut of the hobbyist sector has most of their equipment needs already. What I dislike about a lot of these new products is their outrageous pricing trying to capitalize on the sell it for the most you can methodology era of small business/personal business mentality, especially in this business. I understand the philosophy, but it's really short sighted and not very sustainable squeezing your customers for all you can when the average market prices are much lower for the same or similar products. At some point, the price break kills you especially if you start scaling up which prices most of these custom high end places out of the budget. I get it, 1-2 for novelty, but if I'm going to buy 30 hives worth of the equipment, I'm not paying $20 a box when you can find them for $7-$10 on sale somewhere else, sometimes even painted and assembled.

“Bee Built” langstroth boxes don’t fit well with the Mann Lake lang boxes, they’re slightly smaller, but well built; I bought one on sale a few years ago with apeaked roof which I don’t use. As for Top Bar, a friend built one and gave it to me, screened bottom with 3 sections of luan that you can slide to open or close them. Last year over the winter there was so much water in the bottom of the hive, even with vent holes on either end and one on the follower board, it swelled those small boards and had to cut them out. Also dead bees, but the hive survived. Deb
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24