Difference between honey wax cappings and brood wax cappings

Default Difference between honey wax cappings and brood wax cappings

Can anyone point in the right direction to find info on the difference between the cappings waxes? I understand that it is the same wax, but how do the bees manipulate to form the smooth white cappings for honey and the orange/ brown bumpy brood cappings? Several searches (using different key words) of this site and others have lead me no where. Giving a presentation on brood next month and wanted to present an explanation of how they are different. Thank you in advance for any help.

Dave
    I'm like the weatherman- right about half of the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Difference between honey wax cappings and brood wax cappings

pretty sure thats just travel staining on the brood cappings due to the ammount of bees that walk on it vs new wax over honey

Quote Originally Posted by dkvello View Post
    Can anyone point in the right direction to find info on the difference between the cappings waxes? I understand that it is the same wax, but how do the bees manipulate to form the smooth white cappings for honey and the orange/ brown bumpy brood cappings? Several searches (using different key words) of this site and others have lead me no where. Giving a presentation on brood next month and wanted to present an explanation of how they are different. Thank you in advance for any help.

Dave
    There is difference in cap porosity, and so cap construction and the cap materials used (which in turn creates different appearance).
    Capped brood needs to breath through the caps or it will die.
    Capped honey needs to be sealed completely or it will absorb moisture and may go bad.
    I know I read all of this from some good source while back; try googling again.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Brood capping is made with pollen and wax. The emerging bee consumes the cap.

I read that somewhere.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jkellum View Post
    pretty sure thats just travel staining on the brood cappings due to the ammount of bees that walk on it vs new wax over honey
    Thank you for replying. If that was the case, you would see varying differences in the color.

"Cappings placed over honey cells are generally 100% new wax, those over brood are only partly wax.
    Old wax is used in capping brood cells and often contains pollen, propolis and bits of cocoons."

From "What Do You Know" by Clarence Collison, pg. 63

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    "Cappings placed over honey cells are generally 100% new wax, those over brood are only partly wax.
    Old wax is used in capping brood cells and often contains pollen, propolis and bits of cocoons."

From "What Do You Know" by Clarence Collison, pg. 63
    You are they bomb. Even own the book, but a friend of mine has it as he studies for Master Beekeeper!

Best of luck with your presentation, Dave.

I have seen it written somewhere that the brood cappings are deliberately porous to allow oxygen / CO2 exchange necessary for the developing larva / pupa.

Honey cell cappings is much less porous although some moisture can be picked up or dropped depending on surrounding air humidity.
    Frank

Brood wax cappings are typically recycled wax since most of the year there is not a flow to stimulate wax glands. Honey caps are typically new wax because honey is really only being stored when the glands are stimulated by honey flow.