oxytetracycline
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: oxytetracycline

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    2,070

    Default oxytetracycline

    I was at a store today and they had 2 bags of it. I asked the store guy about it and he said that they were allowed to sell their inventory. I looked at the expiry date and its over a year expired, so I didn't take it and he took it off the shelf to dispose of because it was expired. As I was driving away I wondered if I should have taken it anyway. I know that most things don't expire when they say it does and to date, we have no vets in VT that will prescribe it. So wondering if some expired antibiotic may be better than none. I do not have an issue at the moment, but who knows come spring. What do you think? J

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Turnbow Hollow, Tennessee
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Tetracycline past it's shelf life can degrade into toxic elements that can cause kidney damage. I suspect oxytetracycline is probably very similar in it's characteristics and likely could do that same thing. Not sure I would test my luck on my honey bees with it.

  4. #3

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Time to go dumpster diving.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    4,208

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    I was at a store today and they had 2 bags of it. I asked the store guy about it and he said that they were allowed to sell their inventory. I looked at the expiry date and its over a year expired, so I didn't take it and he took it off the shelf to dispose of because it was expired. As I was driving away I wondered if I should have taken it anyway. I know that most things don't expire when they say it does and to date, we have no vets in VT that will prescribe it. So wondering if some expired antibiotic may be better than none. I do not have an issue at the moment, but who knows come spring. What do you think? J
    About a year ago. I spoke to a medical doctor who also keeps bees and had several colonies with active EFB. This person asked the best treatment, and I responded: oxytetracycline!! I told them that I had some oxytetracycline, but it was expired. The expiration caused NO concern to this person. Ultimately, they found oxytetracycline elsewhere, but it seemed as though they were fine with using expired oxytetracycline.

    You said: "we have no vets in VT that will prescribe it". Can you contact your state apiarist, or apiary inspector? There must be a path to get the needed treatment.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Stockholm, NJ, USA
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    If you are near the Canadian border, you can cross over and buy it there. They even have an EFB mix ready to go.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Algoma District Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,621

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    I think Dec. 10 is the cutoff date for availability here in Canada. Many small feed outlets have sold out and not been replacing stocks for quite some time. Some of the formulations I have seen for other livestock do not have dillution and feed directions specifically for bees. Directions for arriving at bee safe concentrations can still be chased down on the internet though.
    Frank

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Thanks for all the great responses. I am going to stop back in to the store tomorrow and bet I won't have to dumpster dive for it unless they are more organized than they look. The guy took the 2 bags and put them on a shelf next to the "back room". Probably will sit there for several months. Think Ill offer 50%. J

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Co, NY, USA
    Posts
    3,625

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    5J>>>
    It looks like there are 7 Bee Vets in VT
    see here:
    https://www.hbvc.org/Veterinarians.p...licensed_in=VT

    I'm pretty sure our own Chris Cripps of Betterbee is the creator of the honey bee vet consortium.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    Tetracycline past it's shelf life can degrade into toxic elements that can cause kidney damage.
    Honeybees don't have kidneys, so it's unlikely that any specific problem with their kidneys would develop.

    Connecticut also doesn't have any veterinarians (at least the last time I checked on line) that listed themselves as being available to do consultations and prescribe appropriate antibiotics. The mechanisms put in place by the federal government that limit access to veterinary antibiotics (important for keeping humans healthy) don't meet the needs of people in the real world. I am uncertain whether veterinarians need to go through specialized training to be able to prescribe antibiotics to honeybees, or whether their general license would permit them to provide access to oxytetracycline.

    Perhaps the vet who cares for your dog or cat would be willing to work with you to provide appropriate care for your insects...

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Thanks Clyderoad. Last time I checked that site, nobody from VT had signed up. One is fairly close, so maybe he could help if I have an issue. J

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    ElDorado,Arkansas,USA
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    I know a medical doctor who started out as a pharmacist and went on to become a medical doctor.He said not to worry too much on the expiration dates as they have to put dates on them also its a selling point.Expire and the pharmaceutical company sells more.Can you say more profits? Yep!!! The one thing he did suggest was to keep in a cool dark place until opened.After opened reseal and put in your refrigerator.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Quote Originally Posted by Knisely View Post
    Connecticut also doesn't have any veterinarians (at least the last time I checked on line) that listed themselves as being available to do consultations and prescribe appropriate antibiotics.
    When you look at the site suggested by ClydeRoad (www.hbvc.org), look using the abbreviation for your state. Don't type out 'Connecticut', use 'CT'.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Turnbow Hollow, Tennessee
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Thanks for all the great responses. I am going to stop back in to the store tomorrow and bet I won't have to dumpster dive for it unless they are more organized than they look. The guy took the 2 bags and put them on a shelf next to the "back room". Probably will sit there for several months. Think Ill offer 50%. J
    What you are looking for is Pennox 343 which is readily available online. It is oxytetracycline. It comes is a bit larger package but is reasonably inexpensive. Depending upon how much you use, it comes in a 20 lb. case which is even cheaper in bulk. These are 23.9 oz. packs. If you are on good terms with your veterinarian, he can provide you with a prescription so you can place the order.

    https://www.qcsupply.com/pennox-343-...SABEgJo_fD_BwE

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rutland County, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: oxytetracycline

    Good info. I think my prior vet would have accommodated me, but he recently retired and I don't know the new one that well yet. J

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •