advice on creamed honey production

Default advice on creamed honey production

I have a drum of Star Thistle (Knapweed) honey from the summer of 2017 that was strained but not heated and when I looked at it today I saw that it has completely crystallized into very nice, very fine crystals. I am wondering if anyone could tell me whether I can heat it just enough to get it out of the drum, put it into jars, and store it at 57 Fahrenheit until it re-crystallizes into solid creamed honey again. Or, would I be further ahead by warming it into 100% liquid and then using the standard method of adding adequate starter crystals and storing at 57 F until creamed.
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that once creamed honey is warmed and softened even a little it will never fully re-crystallize again. I cannot find any reference to this anymore. Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: advice on creamed honey production

Can't you scoop it out of the drum? How big is the drum? Sorry but I can't answer your question with any confidence, but would be very reluctant to heat it unless you can't get it out otherwise. J

Thanks Fivej, and I did think about scooping it out but it is a standard 620 lb.n honey drum (barrel)

Quote Originally Posted by markus View Post
    I have a drum of Star Thistle (Knapweed) honey from the summer of 2017 that was strained but not heated and when I looked at it today I saw that it has completely crystallized into very nice, very fine crystals. I am wondering if anyone could tell me whether I can heat it just enough to get it out of the drum, put it into jars, and store it at 57 Fahrenheit until it re-crystallizes into solid creamed honey again. Or, would I be further ahead by warming it into 100% liquid and then using the standard method of adding adequate starter crystals and storing at 57 F until creamed.
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that once creamed honey is warmed and softened even a little it will never fully re-crystallize again. I cannot find any reference to this anymore. Thanks for any advice.
    Is is possible to heat it just enough to get it out and put into jars. The only change is that it will be slightly bigger chrystals, but if you warm it gently you would not notice the difference. I would use 35-40 C, warm air cabin.

If you heat it too much with unsuitable means, part of it will get totally liquid and this part will form what ever size chrystals, large ones too.

It is the large chrystals, which make honey hard and extremely small chrystals make it soft.

Please check out the youtube video "how to make creamed honey-the Dyce method" from the Norfolk Honey Company channel. It will probably answer all your questions.